Author Topic: Motoconfort U57C 125cc 1957  (Read 4611 times)

Offline Terry Spencer

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Motoconfort U57C 125cc 1957
« on: July 25, 2017, 10:49:04 AM »
I have the above Motoconfort 1957 125cc OHV bike, I am looking for chain-guard, battery-box/cover, any information i.e..manual, wiring diagram etc.  The machine is very similar to Motobecne bikes of the same era.
Any help with this restoration will be welcome.
Terry Spencer

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Motoconfort U57C 125cc 1957
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 08:59:38 PM »
I used to have one of these,  its a Motobecane with a different badge but you'll not find any spares in this country.
There is a Motobecane club in France worth joining.
Ebay.Fr cna be fruitful.

I have a book covering Motobecane/Peugeot/Terrot bikes from the  1950s
"Les Motos Populaires Francaises" by Patrick Negro has a lot of the info you need, I want 30 quid for it. PM me if you want it. Might have other stuff.
The book is quite detailed with wiring diagrams, road tests, pics, history, expolded diagrams, even signed by the author, as I bought it form him 2001.
I hope you speak read and write decent french because otherwise you will have a hard time.
There never was a manual, look on line for RTM magazine for tech articles.

If you look for the threads re french bikes on here you will find  contacts for three french dealers about the only sources of new parts for the bike; mostly quite helpful.

I had to go to France for most parts.

Offline Terry Spencer

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 03:53:54 PM »
Thanks for your help,I do not speak Frence so it is obvious I am going to struggle.  Terry

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 05:02:41 PM »
Whenever I go to France for a classic bike run I see these bikes and they epitomise the "French classic scene" to me. It seems like they're everywhere and with the same beige and dark brown colour scheme too.
They must be OK to ride as so many remain, but to buy an incomplete/non-runner in the UK seems a bit masochistic.... ;)

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 07:05:05 PM »
....Or optimistic, or an excuse for a run over the channel without the missus......

I really do wish folk would seek advice before they buy these french bikes, especially with bits missing.

Not much I can help with then Terry, you got a hard job  ahead,these bikes were never imported into the UK. No english tech stuff around.

Those little two-tone brown jobbies are Motobecanes of one sort or another and quite a nice little bomb proof bike. Quite well made. Trouble is being bomb proof the french rode the blessed things till they broke.

Plus these days the French only sell the dog ends out of France, the stuff they can't get reg docs for. The speculative antique dealers love them and bring them back by the van load, and none of them have the least idea about them, except they know old bike fetch high prices here.
Time for you to sign up for french evening classes Terry?

Offline Terry Spencer

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 01:50:43 PM »
Hi
Looks like I am on my own then, situation normal looking at some of the 'lost causes' I have restored in the past.
Perhaps I am nuts.