Author Topic: Terrot MT 1, 100cc 2 stroke: non-starter!  (Read 20172 times)

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Terrot MT 1, 100cc 2 stroke: non-starter!
« Reply #315 on: September 09, 2018, 10:16:47 AM »
As a Scott owner and forum member I've seen similar scenarios to yours several times now. 
"I've just bought/rebuilt this old Scott and it won't run for more than a couple of pops, please help" is the typical question.
The old hands always answer that on a primitive two-stroke oil is an essential part of the sealing (compression) process, and if the seals, rings etc are dry then sealing is poor to non-existent and it ain't gonna run.
The Scott has removable covers over the transfer ports and the standard reply is to take these off and give the workings a good dose of thick oil. I know yours won't have these removable covers but it's something to consider. After all, when Pierre used to ride that bike daily to the garlic factory the engine never dried out, and no-one would buy a bike for the daily grind which couldn't be started.

Have you tried starting rollers?

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 09, 2018, 11:05:12 AM »
Nah, buy a pushbike. You'll certainly get there quicker.
Getting grumpy.

Offline Terrotmt1

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #317 on: September 09, 2018, 08:56:32 PM »
Thanks for the oil suggestion, adds to a previous comment about a higher oil dose to the fuel on an engine almost the same as the MT1.
Will give the fuel a thick dose and see.
I don't actually want this bike as a road runner, not interested in riding one of these, the purpose is simply to go them and move on.

I have a Peugeot BMA moped waiting.
I will be certain to get the engine sorted first!

As to rollers, no, but looking to buy a 240 v pistol drill that will run anti clockwise.
Should save my right foot from further injury.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #318 on: September 10, 2018, 09:00:36 AM »

Offline Terrotmt1

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #319 on: September 10, 2018, 03:42:26 PM »
Thank you for the list, we will be back in the UK late Wed this week, but the link is very useful.
I bet I will still have by little Terrot in 2019...

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #320 on: September 11, 2018, 05:50:07 AM »
Did you know that back in early 1963,at the time of the big freeze,the British government were so concerned that if the channel froze over,southern England would be invaded by a massive horde of Frenchmen in stripey jackets riding terrots ,mobylettes ,peugeots and other tiny mopeds, that the army was placed on standby to form a mass cordon around the channel coast...Obviously they neednt have worried............now if they were riding bicycles festooned with onions,it could have been a different story.

Offline Terrotmt1

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #321 on: September 11, 2018, 04:49:59 PM »
Onions are useful!
There is a big motorcycle autojumble in Kempton Park this weekend, could there be a carb there for this thing?
The MT1 was also fitted with a Gurtner carb.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 11, 2018, 07:02:36 PM »
Being mean I suppose the obvious thing is to take it there and flog it to some passing Frog... :D

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #323 on: September 11, 2018, 08:16:18 PM »
Thank you for the list, we will be back in the UK late Wed this week, but the link is very useful.
I bet I will still have by little Terrot in 2019...

I'd go for 2119.

Kempton Park is in my experience a washout unless you want jap junk, modern repro british bits at silly prices, but there will be a couple of opportunist sellers of old french tat there as usual, go in disguise, they'll be looking out for you ::) Once they got a fish on the hook, they like to reel them in again ;D

I'm rather fond of onion soup, but I make my own and use English onions. I'm on an 'avoid anything French' crusade these days.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 09:19:45 PM by mini-me »