Author Topic: triumph t 100  (Read 16155 times)

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: triumph t 100
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 08:06:30 PM »
It sounds like you're looking for an "overdrive" top gear; to cruise at the legal limit with moderate revs. Well you won't get it; particularly on the T100 with a four speed box.
My T100R thrives on revs and is a bit of a pain at sustained speed. That's how they're designed.
As a road test stated "ideal for blasting between one set of lights and the next".
Buy a Thunderbird and raise the final drive ratio a bit. As Ian said, you won't get the opinion you want on another site either.
Getting grumpy, but not as grumpy as mini-me.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2018, 09:51:17 AM »
If my  past experience of the abortions known as Tritons is anything to go by, the builder never thought anything about gear ratios but just assembled miscellaneous parts regardless.

Did your triton have a Triumph box or a Norton one? Was it a unit engine or pre unit?

Tritons were a 1960s fad which has been turned into a myth. Yet another example of amateurs thinking they could do better than the original manufacturers

Anyone remember the leftovers being turned into
Tribsa
norbsa?

Snide and shark used to sell engine plates to suit almost any mix of parts.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2018, 09:53:38 AM »

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2018, 10:06:31 AM »
What always amused me about Tritons was that people thought the Triumph engine was a better performer than the Norton. Contemporary road tests (both from the same magazine) actually show the 650SS as faster both on acceleration and top speed than the Bonnie. And the revered Road Rocket with its TT carb? Slower than both.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2018, 10:35:34 AM »
That bike in the Ebay ad is the immortal "just needs a few bits to finish". If it's so few...etc etc.
All that work for piss-poor aesthetics again. That arse-high stance never looks good on British bikes.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2018, 11:12:57 AM »
I wondering if one engine has ball mains, and the other the plain bush?

Plenty of scope there for breaking, not 10k worth though.

Some years back a guy in the Bournemouth area did a proper job of that and welded two pre unit T100 into a V4, can't remember what frame, but it was a hairy old bike, I think he used it for side car scrambles perhaps.
Difference was, it actually ran well.

As for Featherbed handling,it was good in its day, but I reckon a well set up 1969/70 T120/TR6 handles just as well; in my yob days I could corner them on the footrests no bother[as long as I'd taken the centre stand off that is]. ;D

The very last T100 Daytona were pretty good too. All That Doug Hele input.

Think of all those 1959 Triumph 650 broken up for the engine...... 25k now for  a good one.

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2018, 01:19:12 PM »
Here's (hopefully) my T100R when I first got it nearly 27 years ago. It's JJ57698 and made on the 31st Aug 1973. It must be one of the last made; apart from the T100Ds.

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2018, 01:23:20 PM »
Flippin' putters. I did rotate it and the image I added to the post was in the correct orientation. Honest.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2018, 03:32:11 PM »
Best handling bike I ever had was a 1972 OIF 650 Trumpet....ugly as sin with it's breadbin tank, conical hubs and flat-back headlamp....but it did handle well. The unit 500s are very under-rated in my opinion. Excellent all-rounders.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2018, 04:38:55 PM »
S'Alright for you, I couldn't reach the ground on the bleddy things. ::)

Offline Grunt

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2018, 06:18:14 AM »
...ugly as sin with it's breadbin tank, conical hubs and flat-back headlamp...
I rather like them I bought this one in the late 70’s mainly because of the larger U.K. tank, flat backed headlamp, conical hubs and the air scoop. The triumph’s the one in the front, if you don’t like tractors or triumphs there’s some washing to look at in the background.

Years ago Bike Magazine printed a photo of a twin engined Triton with the caption “Not one oil leak but two”.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 06:22:16 AM by Grunt »

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2018, 08:42:15 AM »
That's a nice one, but to me the 1968-70 Bonnies and Tigers are the ultimate for looks in units.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2018, 09:15:17 AM »
Where I worked  in 1972 we were selling them new, they helped to send Triumph/BSA down the pan.
Not enough oil for one thing, 4 pints instead of 8, headlamp supports broke, mudguard stays broke, switch gear crap, owners would remove the tank strap  because they couldn't figure out what it did and tanks would split; those silencers were too heavy for their supports; no QD rear wheel, front brake not a patch on the previous one, and yes fugly as sin, and that colour was so yuck, reminiscent of that horrible Leyland mustard colour on Allegros.
Shop was on the S Circular, on the way to Dover so we sold lots to skiving draft dodgers doing the Europe tour, they always wanted a silly sissy bar fitted to hang their rucksacks on, over the back light, not over the seat, some of the unintentional wheelies as they left were funny. No wonder they bought Jap stuff after.
Boss bought so many of the things we were selling new ones 2 years old; BSA Thunderbolts even later.

I like the Fergie, but washing lines are only interesting when the totty next door has done her washing, :o :o

Offline Grunt

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2018, 10:05:26 AM »
That's a nice one, but to me the 1968-70 Bonnies and Tigers are the ultimate for looks in units.
I have to agree on that one. But I reckon you could put a unit engine in anything and it would look good, just one mind.

headlamp supports broke,
been there bought that, Wilemans must have made a fortune out of me.
switch gear crap
Double jointed thumbs help.
owners would remove the tank strap  because they couldn't figure out what it did and tanks would split;
Thats why mines not the original tank, not because I didn’t know what the strap did but because the bike developed a self adjusting tappet and I had to take it off that often I never got round to putting it back on.
those silencers were too heavy for their supports;
I found the silencers fell apart at about the same time the brackets bust.
front brake not a patch on the previous one
I don’t think there as bad as the internet experts say they are. I had a 1200 bandit with twin discs and god knows how many pots per disc. I find the Bonnie front wheel locks up at roughly the same speed the Bandits back end went in the air doing back yard stoppies.
You didn’t mention into head exhuausts, indicators pointing in any direction but the the right one or clutches that either did or didn’t depending on how strong your left hand was, and if it was very strong you couldn’t get neutral until you switched the engine off. And they occasionally fell of the gearbox shaft.
but washing lines are only interesting when the totty next door has done her washing, :o :o
That’s why my smalls are there, so you can’t see next doors totty washing.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2018, 10:15:01 AM »
Yes I forgot about the crap exhausts and the mobile indicators. Never had trouble with a clutch falling off though.
That strap was their because those tanks were so weak over the top of that huge frame tube that the tanks would flex with the weight of fuel and split at the front.
The entire bike was a triumph [no pun] of form over function, designed by on motorcyclists whose actions spawned the sort of plonkers we have to suffer today, the blobber crapper custardising crew who build unridable bikes because they are 'so cool'  'so retro', the ones who want a H-D but buy chinese ready customised H-D 125cc.

Buggered if I know whats happened to motorcycling these days. Nothing wrong with flat tanks and gas lamps.

PS My tomatoes are better than yours.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 10:16:53 AM by mini-me »