Author Topic: T 100 oil feed return problem  (Read 7299 times)

Offline dynamic

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
T 100 oil feed return problem
« on: March 04, 2019, 05:32:54 PM »
I have just started my T 100 after a 5 month lay off repainting frame new rims/spokes etc

it went second kick no problem but I cannot see the oil returning to the tank,

I removed the return pipe and forced oil down it till it was coming out of the end another quick start and still no oil return ?

engine wise before the strip down it ran fine ,I have changed both oil feed pipes and rocker feed pipe for new items with fresh new oil

and replaced the valve springs nothing else was touched engine wise I hope someone can help me out with this serious problem

Offline dynamic

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: T 100 oil feed return problem
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 05:55:53 PM »
I forgot to mention when it first started there was a lot of smoke from the right cylinder I did smear fresh oil around each bore before I replaced the head and my bores are score free , while the engine was out I took the sump plug off and gave it a clean.

I am running + 40 pistons with the left bore measuring 68.54 mm. & the right bore 68.85

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 06:16:06 PM »
If there is nothing in the crankcase then it won't pick up. fill the rocker boxes up with oil and let drain overnight,  if you can get at the oil return pipe inthe tank try a squirt of oil down that, to enourage it.

Offline dynamic

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 07:56:23 AM »
thanks for the reply mini me I will do the rocker tip this morning, am I right in thinking that if I'm getting no oil return then the oil is not circulating around the engine at all ? I just don't want to risk any damage to it .

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 09:23:25 AM »
You may find it will take a couple minutes for the return to get to the tank, which, if you have a lot of oil  in the case will be a steady stream which will settle down to random spurts, that is how it should be.

whatever you do, first make sure the pipes are connected the right way round.

After that you have to bite the bullet and have alook at the oil pump, not a difficult task.

Offline dynamic

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 12:22:44 PM »
thanks for the reply MM I am going to reinvestigate and will post my findings …………

Offline dynamic

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 01:21:40 PM »
I had left the oil poured down the rockers (exhaust./inlet) overnight,   so this morning I removed the return pipe and placed it as low as I could & gave it "50+ prime kicks" ign. off

upon start up I placed my thumb over the end of the return pipe and felt a bit of pressure removing my thumb I get an eyeful of 20/50 but even better a steady hiccup of oil from the engine

reconnected the return pipe and starting up I now have a constant hic hic hic of return oil to the tank

thank you all for your input "very relived of Criccieth"

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 01:30:56 PM »
steep learning but never forgotten.

Offline dynamic

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 12:22:36 PM »
indeed never forgotten MM I am educated for the moment thanks for your input

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 05:37:34 PM »
I nevr had interwebby thing when I started, but I did have a lot of dud bikes :'(

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 02:13:18 PM »
Yes, we learned about bikes by taking them to bits and putting them back together. If you didn't get them running, you couldn't go to work.
Getting grumpy, but not as grumpy as mini-me.

Offline dynamic

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 08:39:22 AM »
I have had a slight setback on my machine,   I noticed a slight oil weep on the front left cyl. head
 so I undid all bolts (in sequence) and went to re torque the head to 25 ft. lbs.
upon torqueing up the top left exs.bolt I stripped the threads "ouch"
 so head & barrel off I discover a 3mm gouge at least 1 mm deep & about an inch long this was below the rings so I did not see this when the head was off
so I have now bit the bullet and purchased a new cylinder/piston kit as this was very close in price to having a time sert  and 2X new liners + pistons
I am not sure how to stagger the rings when I re fit the new pistons, I read in the manual (not Haynes) just space the rings 120 deg. apart where do I start with the ring gap from the top ( compression ring)  ?

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 11:49:11 AM »
As soon as it's run for a few seconds they will have moved so in my opinion just put the gaps anywhere.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 12:08:28 PM »
But to minimise any potential localised wear caused by sharp ring ends space then 120' apart.
I always put the oil ring gap at the back and the two compression ring gaps at the front.

Offline dynamic

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 08:45:34 AM »
thank you Ian and Rex  I am waiting for my parts to arrive I will post soon on all "progress"