Author Topic: T 100 oil feed return problem  (Read 2489 times)

Offline dynamic

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
T 100 oil feed return problem
« on: September 27, 2019, 03:35:07 PM »
I have been running in my 68 T 100 after a full rebuild and 500 miles later I let the engine oil drain out overnight and again have no return to the oil tank ?
last time I just let the return pipe hang lower than the engine whilst \I kicked it over till I got a full oil flow before reconnecting the return pipe to the tank now no dribble even ?
I syringed 100ml down the return pipe before reconnecting to the tank
I know I have feed to the engine as I kicked it over many times (plugs out ) till I got oil dribble to the pressure release (loosened) valve but still no joy
 I poured in 2,84 litres of Morris 40 oil  is this the correct amount I am wondering ?
the motor has a brand new Morgo pump new oil lines etc.
I hope someone can advise me on this "situation"

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: T 100 oil feed return problem
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 03:50:24 PM »
The rocker gear isn't going to instantaneously seize due to no oil, (even more so if it's been lubed up to recently) so start the engine and crack the rocker boxes' oil unions until oil appears. Shouldn't take long, especially if you've primed it beforehand.
All that "kicking over" business is a waste of time. Even if you kicked it over 100 times that would still only represent 6 seconds running at 1000 RPM. Just fire it up.

Offline dynamic

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 08:58:17 AM »
Hi Rex I have had the motor running and barely get a weak dribble back to the tank even if I rev it a bit
so last night I poured 200ml down the inlet rocker hoping this will drain to the sump and the scavenge pipe can pick up
I will post my findings
am I correct in filling the tank with 2.83 (5 pints) litres of oil ?

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 09:54:07 AM »
No idea about the oil capacity but 2" or so from the filler neck would be a good starting point, and you can top up as required when it's running.
A "weak dribble" is a relative term, but it's always been a regular pulse in my old Trumpets.
Have you tried the old trick of putting your finger over the oil tank scavenge pipe with the engine running to force oil up to the rockers?
Then again, have you had this engine running satisfactorily in the past, or is it a new build?

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 10:08:04 AM »
My Daytona book says 5 1/2 pints, but you're close enough for a starting point. Speak to the oil pump people to see if you've missed a trick.
Getting grumpy, but not as grumpy as mini-me.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 12:30:00 PM »
The oil level in the tank will quickly fall if the return isnt equal to the feed,and the engine will begin to smoke profusely,and even stop with fouled plugs....if the oil level is fairly constant with the motor running,then the oil is returning.

Offline dynamic

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 08:42:55 AM »
Hi all after pouring 200ml of oil down the inlet rocker and leaving it overnight I gave a few slow kicks ign. off then started the engine and was very happy to see a healthy return flow to the tank
 I guess when I initially drained the running in oil overnight there was none left for the scavenge pipe to pick up ?
however thank you all for your input "relieved" of Criccieth