Author Topic: B31 spluttering and flashing back through carb  (Read 25514 times)

Offline john11668

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: B31 spluttering and flashing back through carb
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2019, 12:51:33 AM »
We dont have those options at our pumps . The troublesome fuel was just bought at a local station shortly before this thread started . BP ultimate.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2019, 10:55:29 AM »
Well I've never had a problem with ordinary unleaded whether with or without ethanol - sometimes left for 6 months and then starts first kick. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2019, 11:30:33 AM »
Seems to depend on the engine. My V-twin and lawn mower are both low comp SV's and they need new fuel before they'll start in the Spring. The OHV bikes on the other hand, do fire up on old juice.

Offline john11668

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2019, 09:23:46 PM »
Juice was no more than three months old yet apparently clean  ,   New stuff sorted the bike (and made us look like a pair of Idiots) . 
Old juice was  yellowish .   New stuff  virtually clear .

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2019, 09:28:11 PM »
I once bought a tankfull of fuel for my regular roadbike (at a small servicestation)
and the the performance going up the next hill was so woefull I stopped and checked
my bike was still all present and intact.
I don't know what was in that fuel, but some of it was less than burnable. ?
The next tankfull restored the zip....

Modern fuels seemed geared more towards fuel injection, and are more diesel-like in constituents,
and the more volatile components may be less in evidence - which will affect carbureted engines ?
Fuels apparently are also made to summer and winter formulas, so out-of-season fuel performance
may be less than ideal perhaps.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2019, 10:12:22 PM »
There was a chain of cut price fuel outlets here that were notorious for fuel problems and engine damage........run by  gentlemen of middle eastern appearance--as the cops say--anyhoo,eventually fined $8 million by the consumer protection for selling recycled paint thinner as fuel,and still on the Customs & Excise wanted list for non payment of fuel excise. ----the proprietor has decided to return to Iran.....Despite the recycled thinner fuel being common knowlege ,it took the feds several years to act.....and in typical government fashion they just stuck fuel excise on all paint thinners...problem solved.

Offline john11668

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2019, 11:46:22 PM »
The problem fuel came from a  local station , one of a chain , run by a local cumbrian family and all of their stations sell BP product.
I believe the original problem stuff was their BP "ultimate " whereas the bike is now running fine on 95 Ron regular fuel .

My last runabout was a BMW K100  but I was told by the guy who sold it to me that he found it did not run well on ultimate fuel, and to ensure I used regular .

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2019, 11:08:47 AM »
There's a seller of "Stay-Up" floats for Indians etc in the US, and he monitors fuel quality on a regular basis simply by soaking his floats in fuel for a month or so and monitoring the varying reactions.
His findings seem to match the post above in that he believes industrial solvents are being "disposed of" via the petrol supply chain. Modern vehicles aren't unduly affected due to engine management systems, but our old clunkers can be.

Offline john11668

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2019, 04:42:28 PM »
Interesting

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2019, 10:00:42 PM »
On the other hand,I use unleaded as thinner for spraying red oxide......any alcohol ,and the paint curdles and blocks the gun.....Fraction of the price of paint shop supplied thinner...