Author Topic: 1952 Peugeot BIMA re-build  (Read 23482 times)

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1952 Peugeot BIMA re-build
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2020, 04:19:54 PM »
yes, and if they had lived they could have been slaughtered at Eid, an open air festival of cruelty the french authorities have no desire to stop in case someone gets upset and riots. Again.

French vineyards have some of the most polluted soil in Europe, their champagne has been beaten by our english sparklling wine, as has their famous cheese , Somerset produces an apple brandy far superior to almost anything produced in Calavados , which I have tested liberally.

Their agriculture  is in trouble, like their economy, more so now they won't have our cash.

I think the only answer is to send back all those old french tat and mopeds asap.

Offline Gungey

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2020, 02:32:01 PM »
Hi, could I pick your brains on your bima rebuild.  I bought mine about 3 years ago and it ended up in the shed as the tyres were beyond repair.
I looked into registration for UK but it says there are two sets of numbers. Try as I have, I cannot find the frame number.  Where was yours located?
Tyres and inner tubes replaced and I can ride it as a bike with both breaks working (the will need a strip down, but ok for now).
My tank has surface rust inside.  Clean it out or just reseal?
I could do with replacing many if the cables.  Where do you get yours?  The only one that is broken, is the nipple on the end of the carb cable as it pulls out the carb.
Any help would be greatly received.

Offline Terrotmt1

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2020, 04:20:18 PM »
Hello!

You must have got yours the same time I had mine?

Frame number:
Really hard to find and not easy to interpret, but mine were a random set of numbers.

I told the DVLA the clear engine number and told them a frame number was not to be found so the log book states the engine number as the frame number to. This was not a problem once the details were formally confirmed by the National Autocycle & Cyclemotor Club.
You may not get too far with the DVLA without one of their certificates.

I did find some numbers in no order or 'line-up' on the bottom bracket where the pedal shaft passes through, but they all looked randomly stamped.
Cables were easy!
Bought general purpose cable of the right size (engine cables are the thinnest) off ebay. they came with a variety of nipples so you can thread them down the outers and crop to length.
Re-cabling the whole bike was tedious..

If I can help in any way, please contact me.
Graham.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 04:28:53 PM by Terrotmt1 »

Offline Gungey

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2020, 07:04:16 AM »
Thank you Graham, you're a star.
I think once I have the cables, i may just try and run her before stripping the carb etc.
I will let you know how I get on for sure.

Offline Gungey

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2020, 07:12:51 AM »
Just out of interest, did you restore front suspension no yours?

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2020, 08:47:14 AM »

I think once I have the cables, i may just try and run her before stripping the carb etc.

You could try, but it will most likely be unsuccessful and then you'll still end up stripping the carb. Not a problem though as it's so simple.
Really, stripping the carb, clean points, new plug etc ought to be the first things you do before trying to start it up. Saves time in the long run and checks the basics too.

Offline Gungey

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2020, 08:10:06 PM »
That's a fair point and I do have gasket paper, so I will give it a go.

Offline Terrotmt1

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2020, 03:20:10 PM »
If you look hard enough, even on ebay, you will find gaskets for the carb.
As said, very simple carb, you almost think there are some parts missing when apart!

The internal drillings are super fine, and I was lucky to find a new body on ebay for £20, cured the starting issues.

Replace everything you think may have suffered over time.
Sweet running little engine when going.

Offline Terrotmt1

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2020, 07:36:08 AM »
BIMA started yesterday using a pistol drill.
Took a bit of time until I realised the throttle cable had slipped, so after a re-set it started and ran well with good throttle response for such an engine.

Decided to sell this and the Terrot to make way for a Honda twin project.

Can be seen on ebay 'Peugeot Bima'

Offline UncleNick

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2020, 08:12:38 PM »

I looked into registration for UK but it says there are two sets of numbers. Try as I have, I cannot find the frame number.  Where was yours located?

Hi, I realise this is a very old thread but I'm very slowly restoring a couple of BIMAs.  Just in case you need it, the frame number is on the left hand side rear wheel drop-out, where the spindle goes through the frame.
Mine needed a really good clean before I could see them.  One is five digits, the other six, both look hand stamped.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2020, 04:07:54 PM »
After Jan 1 2021 all french bikes in uk are programmed to self destruct, all part of napoleon Macrons big sulk :o :o ;D

he is farting in our general direction already.

Offline UncleNick

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2020, 09:57:01 PM »
After Jan 1 2021 all french bikes in uk are programmed to self destruct, all part of napoleon Macrons big sulk :o :o ;D

he is farting in our general direction already.

Mine are pretty much self-destructed anyway, the few bits that haven't I'm taking apart.

Let's hope Macron doesn't taunt us a second time.  ;D