Author Topic: Crazy Classic Bike Prices  (Read 24811 times)

Offline andyw1260

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Crazy Classic Bike Prices
« on: September 18, 2008, 11:49:56 AM »
What is going on with Classic bike prices in a downturn.  On an online auction site there is a 68  T120R import. with a current bid of £6600 the reserve price has still not been met. Just looking at the pictures of it you can see it`s a bitsa bike. £60Quid wheels, no oil breather back mudguard, bolts holding on tool side cover, 69 brakes, no transfers .  If you were to look the bike over you maybe would find other modern parts including metric bolts!
I believe restorers should have a set standard or maybe it`s buyer BEWARE.  

Offline Goldie

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy Classic Bike Prices
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 09:53:49 PM »
What is going on with Classic bike prices in a downturn.  On an online auction site there is a 68  T120R import. with a current bid of £6600 the reserve price has still not been met. Just looking at the pictures of it you can see it`s a bitsa bike. £60Quid wheels, no oil breather back mudguard, bolts holding on tool side cover, 69 brakes, no transfers .  If you were to look the bike over you maybe would find other modern parts including metric bolts!
I believe restorers should have a set standard or maybe it`s buyer BEWARE.  

If people want to pay stupid over the top money, let em'.

Offline henry_norton

• Advanced Member
  • get out there
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 02:44:16 PM »
Metric bolts...AAARRGGGGHH!!!!!

There was a thread that got quite heated a few months ago regarding metric fixings on UK classic bikes.

I absolutely agree that some people have ridiculously inflated opinions on the value of their bikes but it has to be buyer beware. One of the most interesting aspects of buying a classic is getting to know your make and model, what to avoid as well. Some of the most valuable bikes are very easy to fake (RGS, Velo Thruxton, tangerine T120) and if you were laying out your 10 grand or whatever for one of these you wouldn't dream of buying without making absolutely sure the bike was genuine or at least knowing what aspects of it weren't. Why should it be any different if you could only afford a couple of thousand?

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 09:33:49 AM »
[]Metric bolts...AAARRGGGGHH!!!!!
There was a thread that got quite heated a few months ago regarding metric fixings on UK classic bikes.

Rightly so, as it's both unnecessary and "cheap". Even worse when they're threaded into an Imperial-tapped hole...

Unfortunately as many have found out to their cost, people's standards of restoration differ widely, so as said, it really is important to check out a potential buy very carefully.

Offline Goldie

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 08:04:09 PM »
I have a Gold Star DBD34 500 Replica, and i would put it up against any genuine Goldie.
Its a replica because it has a B31 frame, which is identical to a genuine frame apart fron 2 lugs welded on the bottom rear frame loop to accomadate the rear set footrests, and the frame number.

I just did'nt fancy paying an extra £4-5000 extra for 2 lugs and a CB32 frame number.

There are a lot of fake Goldies around, with re-stamped frame and engine numbers out there.

You have to be on your guard.

Offline henry_norton

• Advanced Member
  • get out there
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 10:55:27 AM »
I have a Gold Star DBD34 500 Replica, and i would put it up against any genuine Goldie.
Its a replica because it has a B31 frame, which is identical to a genuine frame apart fron 2 lugs welded on the bottom rear frame loop to accomadate the rear set footrests, and the frame number.

My day-to-day is a 65 Bonnie with a 66 engine, 12volt electrics, electronic ignition, concentric carbs and 69 forks. It looks, rides and sounds just like a good Bonneville should. I don't really care if some purist doesn't like it because the numbers don't match up - but having said that I didn't buy it for 'matching numbers' money.

Offline thunderbird

• Advanced Member
  • thunderbirds do go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 01:46:54 PM »
i think if people want to spend a fortune on a perfect museum piece thats up to them,but if you wish to ride and enjoy a bike, a basket case or not so standard bike is a good way to go. i built a 57 thunderbird a few years back wich i use on a regular bases it is matching numbers but was just a pile of bits with a lot of the correct parts missing i built the bike to my own taste with the parts i had,it has a tls front brake (its nice to be able to stop)early bonnie forks headlamp,twin 389 monobloc carbs on a iron head,rev counter, early tank pre 57 style,twelve volt electrics,slickshift gearbox and its painted non standard colours
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 01:56:43 PM by thunderbird »

Offline henry_norton

• Advanced Member
  • get out there
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 04:10:24 PM »
Looks really nice Thunderbird - I do wish mine looked as neat as yours. How do you find the TLS with the 60-62 forks?

Offline thunderbird

• Advanced Member
  • thunderbirds do go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 06:17:19 PM »
Thanks for your comments Henry,the tls is a vast improvement to standard brake but it is a case of gently braking as it works well i did get a bit of juddering in the forks when i 1st built the bike but this was due to the head race bearings being a little slack,i also intend to strip the forks down in the winter and replace the oil seals as one leaks a little and also upgrade the springs for heavier ones.getting back to the crazy prices i did sell my 61 bonnie about 6 years ago i owned the bike for 20 years it was matching numbers and a very standard and original bike, needed the money at the time but  a regretfull sale :'(  a great bike to ride and own but due to the crazy prices i doubt i will own one again unless i win the lottery cheers steve :)

Offline Trumper

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 08:44:39 PM »
 :) Things are only worth what someone pays for it.My bike is'nt a bike meant for showing,i hope to ride it all year and in most weathers [assuming it stays reliable].
  I have seen too many bikes turn up on trailers to bike shows [only if no clouds in the sky] ,why own it??.
  There seems to be a "purists" group and a "practicality" group of owners but unfortunately we are all open to con artists  :-[
  Happy riding all  :)

Offline Goldie

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
Here is a pic of my 350 Goldie.

This is a special which has 18inch Borrani rims, to give more choice of tyres, hence the wider gap on the front mudguard.

Why an orange tank?
Because i had a Goldie 40 years ago with an orange tank.

Offline thunderbird

• Advanced Member
  • thunderbirds do go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 10:11:36 PM »
nice looking bike goldie allways fancied a goldstar myself.

Offline henry_norton

• Advanced Member
  • get out there
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 10:23:05 PM »
After seeing these two bikes (both wouldn't look out of place in a bike show) I've decided not to post a picture of my dirty, tarnished, scratched 65 Bonnie.  :-[  I'm sure you'd put some of the 'absolute originality' fanatics to shame.

Following on from Thunderbird's comment, I also have an early Bonneville (59) which one day I'll get around to restoring. The stupid thing is it's worth more than my car and other bike put together, even as a pile of rusty, dented parts.....

Offline thunderbird

• Advanced Member
  • thunderbirds do go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 10:36:32 PM »
its not what you ride henry its the fact that you do ride it even if it is scratched and dirty,mines only bright and shiny because its newly built,59 bonnie lucky man :)cheers steve

Offline Bruce

• Advanced Member
  • I Ride my Big4 all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 08:20:06 AM »
This is my Norton Big4 bought for £15 in 1972 it used not a trailer queen