Author Topic: where do i put my battery  (Read 3332 times)

Offline hayley1963

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
where do i put my battery
« on: May 02, 2009, 03:10:50 PM »
I  have got myself a back brake light and switch...now where do i put a battery and what size battery..i am not going to drill holes in my bike!! someone  said to me hide it in my tool box but that means drilling holes in my tool box :o plus i have collected a lot of royal enfield tools which now live in the tool box
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 03:12:56 PM by hayley_mansell »

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: where do i put my battery
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 09:02:11 AM »
I  have got myself a back brake light and switch...now where do i put a battery and what size battery..i am not going to drill holes in my bike!!

There would appear to be plenty of room above the gearbox area or maybe under the seat of your RE2 for a small battery pack?
There shouldn't really be any need to drill any holes, as the battery holder could be fixed to a frame tube using suitable sized plastic coated or rubber covered 'P' clips, or plumbers pipe clips?

How professional it all looks in the end will of course depend to a certain extent on the inginuity of the person doing the work, the battery pack is there to do a job I suppose rather than to look original, but I see no reason why the battery pack can't be made to blend in with the appearance of the bike?

The size of the battery will be something of a compromise, as the bigger the battery, the longer it's going to last between charges (if you decide on a rechargeable type?).
I don't know how far you ride on average, but a tiny battery that will go flat during your ride isn't going to be much use. Ideally you'd probably want a battery you could recharge without removing it from the bike each time?

A 6V "Cyclon" 2.5AH or 5AH battery could be worth considering, as they are a sealed rechargeable type?

If you shop around you should be able to find them cheaper than the prices shown here?
http://www.strikalite.co.uk/prodcat_type/5/Cyclon/0/Sealed_Lead_Acid_batteries.html

« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 09:03:10 AM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline Justin_Faithfull

• Advanced Member
  • ELEPHANTS - WHERE?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 10:42:02 PM »
You can buy 'universal' battery holders that are period for your bike & will take a black dummy battery case into which you can put a modern Cyclon battery. This will allow you bike to remain looking right.
As L.A.B. says you should not need to drill any new holes, just use P clips or similar.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 05:12:25 AM »
Couldn't agree more with Justin.
"Universal" battery carriers were common wear from the thirties on when electric lighting became standard and people wanted to upgrade their bikes from Gas lighting. They are easy to find at swap meets and you will take one glance at one and realise how easy it is to fit to your bike and how normal it looks.
The dummy battery looks like a period battery , fits the universal holder and allows you to fit a small modern battery inside it.
When you get more familiar with your bike you will appreciate how easy it is (and cheap) to upgrade the electrics so the battery is being charged and the lights remain steady rather than glow and dim as engine revs rise and fall.
All of the above can be achieved without altering any original component and keeping the bike looking 'period'. Modern electronic components are the greatest thing that ever happened to old two-strokes.
Best of luck,