Author Topic: Checking crank sludge trap  (Read 3883 times)

Offline Bob Kellock

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Checking crank sludge trap
« on: June 09, 2009, 10:59:23 PM »
I have a 1968 Triumph TR6C which has only done about 8000 miles but hasn't been run for at least 10 years. Is it possible to check if the sludge trap is bunged up without stripping the engine?

Bob
www.chainganger.co.uk

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Checking crank sludge trap
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 11:40:55 PM »
Is it possible to check if the sludge trap is bunged up without stripping the engine?

No...

But the sludge trap shouldn't be anywhere near full if it has only done 8000 miles.  

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 11:45:51 PM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline TBS

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 12:11:54 PM »
Change all fluids, drain sump, clean filter and clean oil tank thoroughly before starting, and beware of using a detergent based oil as this may well shift any sludge in the trap. I would check with a small light through the plughole to view the top of the piston, and see whether the stamping of std can be seen or +.010 /+.20 etc to see whether it's been bored.

Offline Goldie

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 09:56:21 PM »
I own a 750 Triton and many years ago i did a total strip of the engine.
I noticed that when o took out the big end shells, they were looking a little dry and scored.
When i investigated further, the sludge trap was completly solid and needed digging out with a screwdriver.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 08:16:48 AM »
You've had some cracking cars and bikes!

As regards the TR6C it depends where it came from. As has been said above, 8000 UK  miles wouldn't clog the trap, but (as I know from personal experience) bikes imported from the dry states of the US often have traps full of crap. I think it was a macho US thing to run air filterless (and front brake-less, rear suspension-less, front mudguard-less etc etc ;)) and this causes problems.

I think on a bike as desirable as this, I'd go for a winter strip and check, just to be safe.