Author Topic: G3L  1952  (Read 3937 times)

Offline rap

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
G3L  1952
« on: December 31, 2008, 04:32:16 AM »
Any easy way to work out thickness of spacer between bearings on crankshaft or is there a fixed thickness. Cant find information on forum questions.
   Thanks Graeme.

Offline Justin_Faithfull

• Advanced Member
  • ELEPHANTS - WHERE?
    • View Profile
Re: G3L  1952
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 03:32:40 PM »
For 1952 Matchless went changed from having the driving side main bearings the same size to having different sizes (the inner one became slightly larger on the outside diameter). I believe your bike should have two spacers between the drive side main bearing & that they are of fixed thickness -  I can find reference to the parts but no mention of different thicknesses available.
You could try the AJS & Matchless Owners Club http://www.ajs-matchless.com/ they have a good spares scheme.

Offline rap

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 07:53:27 PM »
Thanks very much for your information and think i will have to work it out as there were lots of changes around that era and also bikes sent to new zealand could be of year before or after as they seemed to use what parts were in stock.
                  Thankyou again.
                              Graeme.

Offline bikerisme

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 01:51:28 AM »
just rebuilt one of these was given a washer when i brought the bearings its just to keep the bearings apart as they are different sizes theyspin at different speeds  the one i got was about 30 thou thick