Author Topic: 30's goggles what is this material  (Read 3947 times)

Offline 29 excelsior

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
30's goggles what is this material
« on: August 25, 2009, 05:15:13 AM »
1920/30's motorcycle goggles. owner story says these goggles were worn on long motorcycle trip late 20's early 30's then moth balled.
the glass lenses are very good as are the rims, to make usable again I would like to know what material was used for sealing against face.
doesnt appear to be fur as there is no hide  looks similar to carpet but has no backing.Just what is this fluffy stuff.
cheers tony

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: 30's goggles what is this material
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 06:59:45 PM »
looks similar to carpet but has no backing.Just what is this fluffy stuff.

I would think that it's probably wool?

I don't know where you live, but if you live in the UK, then those goggles are no longer legal to use on the road, as all goggles and visors must conform to either UK or EC current standards for motorcycle eye protectors and marked with the relevant BS/EC standards information.
Note that this legislation does not apply to sunglasses or spectacles.
L.A.B.

Offline 29 excelsior

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 30's goggles what is this material
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 11:26:25 AM »
thanks LAB you maybe right simple flame test will con firm. at least it's still available.
re legallity. in Australia I dont think there is any law covering motorcycle goggles , its not even Illegal to where tinted visor at night
but that is a no brainer. USA has funny laws in some states riding without helmet  is fine but riding without eye protection is an offence although there are no standards for eye wear.when my brother lived in states he bought one of those chinese built bikes  a harley fat boy.
the dealer was happy for him to ride off with out helmet, but then chased him declaring he must be a foolish Aussie to ride without eye protection  and he could be liable letting him go with out eye wear, returned with custom sun glasses of dubious quality. By the time he arrived home dusk had to ride with sunnies sitting up on his head,enquired his work collegues and they told him the glasses had to be on his head but not nesescarily covering his eyes.
I intend using goggles for  heritage  festival parades walking pace.
cheers tony