Author Topic: wolf motorcycle ID  (Read 7140 times)

Offline cbr1000

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
wolf motorcycle ID
« on: December 01, 2005, 07:56:18 PM »
Can anybody help identify this bike, i have been told it could be a Wolf. it is fitted with a Villiers engine (9D)
I can't find any pictures and would be grateful if anybody could let me know where i can get some.
Frame No 189698  engine No AAA7896.
E-mail me for pictures.
Thanks John

Offline VintageBike

• YaBB Administrator
  • Advanced Member
  • Not quite enough bikes in the garage...
    • View Profile
Re: wolf motorcycle ID
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 08:14:48 PM »
There is a picture of the bike here http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/YaBBAttach/wolf.jpg
Nigel.

Offline Sparks

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 06:46:38 AM »
Hi John,your bike looks like an Excelsior.I would say around 1937,with a 98cc Villiers engine.They came in the Sprite,the Welbike,and the Consort.  Sparks

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 11:53:24 AM »
Tain't an Excelsior, definitely a Wolf. That odd exhaust system is a dead giveaway.
Wolf pictures are easily found but you have to look in books and magazines, not on the 'net. Once upon a time The Classic Motorcycle did a reprint of the 1938 Motorcycle Show. It has a very clear drawing showing your type of exhaust system on theModel WA10 Wolf. There are Wolf pictures in Roy Bacons "British Bikes of the 30's. Every year throughout the 30's when Wolf announced their next years models both weeklies,  The Motor Cycle and MotorCycling would show at least one picture of the range.
These magazines are kept by the VMCC and Beaulieu plus the VMCC probably have the odd sales brochure or catalogue for Wolf. The VMCC Library is on line and is easy to look up.
Wolf were very much on the fringe of motorcycling and not high profile but they were about for a long time and were well known. Info is plentiful.
Cheers, Bob

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 05:18:38 PM »
Wolf pictures are easily found but you have to look in books and magazines, not on the 'net.

Actually there is some Wolf info on the net:

http://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk/Museum/Transport/Motorcycles/Wearwell.htm

http://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk/Museum/Transport/Motorcycles/Wearwell2.htm
L.A.B.

Offline Rick_Parkington

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 09:47:59 PM »
Sorry bit late to reply I know but I have to disagree with Bob. Both Wolf and Excelsior used this type of exhaust but only Excelsior had this frame with the removable rail from seat to rear wheel. The engine is a Villiers 125cc 8D. I think the 9D was the post war version AAA is the pre-war number AAA****A is post, the A suffix indicating an improved crank seal.
Get a copy of "Road Tests Recalled"from Motor Cycling January 24th 1946 - as Bob says the VMCC can supply -and you will see itis the same bike in the picture.
The only other bike to look quite like this was the 1946 Norman 125. I have never found proof but Excelsior must have sold them their pre-war design and tools   because it is identical.
Your frame number doesn't look right. It should begin with the model prefix JO I think for '37. So it shoud be JO/1234. They changed letter by year GO,HO etc.
Hope this helps, Rick

Offline geoffus

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 08:25:30 AM »
excelsior modle nos 1937 g  38 h  39 j regards geoff

Offline TriSpec

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 05:33:09 AM »
Closest Wolf in the VMCC Machine Register is a 1936 model with frame 149997 and engine 7453. (Excelsior frame numbers no where near as high as that.)

Peter C.