Author Topic: brooks saddle  (Read 4017 times)

Offline 29 excelsior

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
brooks saddle
« on: March 29, 2010, 12:48:57 AM »
info required for "Brooks" saddle as fitted to Excelsiors and other prewar bikes.wanting to replicate brooks rubber saddle.I have photos but need more info like the frame of saddle were they pressed metal? and then rubber coated? were there any internal springs? pattern plus construction needed.useful info repayed in kind when replica's produced (small scale slow time frame)
cheers tony

Offline JFerg

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: brooks saddle
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 09:17:39 PM »
My New Imp has a Dunlop rubber saddle.  These are a moulded piece of rubber in the shape of the saddle, supported across the rear by a frame section and at the nose by a hinged assembly.  These two frame sections are joined together (or more probably held apart) by a "V" shaped wire spring.  Loops formed in the ends of the "V" bolt to the rear frame section, and conventional saddle springs bolt to plates close to them.  It's a very comfy seat, and didn't leave me with black clothes as I expected it would.

Reproduction rubber tops are available in the UK.  Mine came through a mate so I don't know the precise origin, but I believe it was a "small trials saddle".

cheers,
JFerg

Offline 29 excelsior

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: brooks saddle
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 12:26:35 AM »
thanks Jferg, for the explanation, the V at the front and the rear seat frame, is what I need a pattern for.as you state they keep the rubber stretched apart.from what I gather the manufacture process isnt easy and patterns will be expensive,maybe this is why few have successfully replicated the saddle.making it non commercially viable.but I will still try as I am not doing it for commercial gain rather because it is a challenge.
I would like the correct looking saddle for my excelsior's.and maybe others will benefit OK supreme or new imperial owners
tony