Author Topic: Triumph 3TA steering stops  (Read 5002 times)

Offline 3taVeteran

• View Profile
    • Email
Triumph 3TA steering stops
« on: July 12, 2010, 12:48:52 PM »
Hi - this is my first posting. I'm rebuilding a 1966 3TA (the last model with the headlight nacelle) and the bike does not have any steering stops. The bottom yoke has the two lugs on either side but the frame doesn't appear to have anything to contact with it. The later frames had a bracket which two pins screwed into but mine doesn't have this. The Triumph parts catalogue No. 6 (1964) shows two discs - F5075 - left steering stop and F5076 - right steering stop which I think might be the answer. However I can't locate any so wondered if anyone had the dimensions or could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
Re: Triumph 3TA steering stops
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 12:07:54 PM »
I don't know whether there was any later change, but on my 1959 5TA, which shared the 3TA frame, the stop is actually part of the lower friction disc of the steering damper. The disc is extended into lugs either side which are bolted through a central lug on the downtube to prevent it rotating. On the left side the  stop arm on the forks and the damper lug both have holes which overlap to allow a steering padlock to be used with the steering turned fully left.

I hope you can make sense of this and that it helps.

Jim.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 12:21:48 PM by twolitre »
Jim Walker.

Offline 3taVeteran

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 01:29:18 PM »
Thanks for that Jim. I think I need two steering stop pins as well - these I think screw on the back of the fork pinch bolts. I've managed to locate these from Supreme Motorcycles. Ace Classics reckon they might be able to help with the steering stops.

Thanks again

Paul

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 03:31:34 PM »
Yours must be different to mine. The bottom fork yoke on mine is also the upper friction surface for the steering damper (with a disc of friction material between the two discs) and has two "ears" which contact the stops on the lower disc when the steering is turned.

Sorry I cannot help more. I am only familiar with my version of the frame.

Jim.
Jim Walker.