Author Topic: Where can I learn to ride a ww11 motorbike?  (Read 4086 times)

Offline Jo Mac

• View Profile
Where can I learn to ride a ww11 motorbike?
« on: March 21, 2011, 12:22:24 PM »
Hi Chaps,

I can ride a normal motorbike but I need to ride a ww11 motorbike for an up coming tv show I'm involved in! I'm in the sussex area does anyone know where I can do this? Cheers, Jo.

Offline Revband

• Advanced Member
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Revband
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Revband
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I learn to ride a ww11 motorbike?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 04:47:34 PM »
Hi Jo

If you contact the Vintage Motorcycle Club I feel sure they will be able to put you in touch with a member in your area who will be pleased to help.

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 11:19:58 PM »
A second world war motorcycle is a 'normal' motorcycle ! :)...or do you mean a Harley or something ?

If it's British, you'll have to learn about the manual ignition advance and watch the gear change pattern which is on the right but the rest is as per a modern really.

Do you have any idea what it will be ?

If you want to get in the spirit of things, there was an Imperial War Museum video of wartime training films entitled 'Army Motorcycling' which will take you from raw recruit to experienced off-roader in about an hour - It will also have you speaking like Mr. Cholmondley-Warner.

Offline Welsh Wizard

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 01:48:26 AM »
if you can ride a motorcycle then the main thing will be remember that if its a british bike the gear change will be on the right and foot brake on left , the opposit to modern bikes, if its a USA bike you may have a stick shift on the righth hand side of the Tank.

best first to find out what motorcycle they expect you to ride, as a lot of film companies often use New bikes dressed up as old ones, due to cost of finding good original examples.