Author Topic: What do you think this is?  (Read 6398 times)

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
What do you think this is?
« on: December 02, 2011, 01:04:19 AM »
I recenty got myself a little Zundapp scooter for the collection.  The bloke that sold it is a hopeless collector.  Most of his cars and bikes were in pieces waiting for parts and the cash to carry on.  I think we all do that sometimes.  He wheeled out this silver thing, don't know much about it but thought you may like to see some photos and have a stab at what it is. 

Sorry about the strange man in the last one. 

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think this is?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 09:22:50 AM »
Don't know what it is, but you could turn up at an airshow with that and they'd have to let you in the gate !!  Great pix...

P.S. Which wheel(s) drive it ?

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 12:48:03 PM »
Like I said I don't know much about it but I'll tell you what I know.  It's called a Kolette K71 (wierd way to spell it I know) and it's a bike so runs on the center two wheels.  Shaft drive to the back wheel from (this could be bo**ocks) a Velocette 200cc flat twin two stroke engine which was made for light aeroplanes (like microlight) and some sort of gearbox fitted to the back, possibly a LE.  The small side wheels are for stability when stopped and are sprung loaded.  It was strange to sit in and didn't feel very safe. 

It's a one-off prototype made by a private individual so was never going into production.  What I personally like about it is there are men in sheds working on stuff like this that honestly think they are creating something good.  The fact is they are, just because they are doing it.  Too many now just think about it or draw a picture and think "job done" well it's not when you see things like this. 

I was buying a bike from the bloke so not paying total attention so the facts could be a bit wrong but I hope you enjoy the photos.

A nice touch was the headlight which laid flat that a lid opened above at 45 degrees and had a mirror to reflect the light. 

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 12:59:16 PM »
a Velocette 200cc flat twin two stroke engine which was made for light aeroplanes (like microlight)

:o 200cc aero engine!

I think it is actually made from a Velocette Viceroy scooter

http://classic-motorbikes.net/images/gallery/10122.jpg
http://www.leveloclub.org.uk/scooter.htm
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:04:09 PM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 01:11:28 PM »
That seems more like it even the wheels look the same.  To cut one of those up now would be unthinkable but a few years ago they were worthless. 

Small bike engines were used in target drones, I worked for a while in the Rotunda Museum at Woolich and they had one with a small boxer two stroke engine but I can't find out much about it now.  I do have a photo which will make every vintage bike fan cringe, a Vincent engine for target practice. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:34:57 PM by statik »

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 09:25:44 PM »
I do have a photo which will make every vintage bike fan cringe, a Vincent engine for target practice.

Vincent enthusiasts won't cringe - the Picador engine program was the saving of Vincents, the money for the program funded a lot of engine research.  Whether they spent more than they got is another question....

And did anyone ever hit the target anyway ??

A famous story is that all the top brass were gathered to see the remote-controlled drone demonstrated. And someone not experienced operated the controls on a cloudy day - flying by sound effects was not the way to do it, and the drone "ended up in the drink" (ocean). Brass were not impressed.
BTW, the Australian Jindavik program about took over from where Vincents left off.
But jet powered.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAF_Jindivik

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 09:55:08 PM »
The drone they had at Woolwich was dropped from a bomber for the early jets to shoot down.  It was used quite a few times and retired when landing damage became too bad.  No bullet holes but the launch plane got hit a couple of times. 

The man that made the strange bike also made a racing car of some sort.  Not sure which came first.