Author Topic: BSA Toolkit  (Read 6798 times)

Offline Elyvas

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
BSA Toolkit
« on: January 26, 2007, 05:39:09 PM »
Just starting out with my BSA GoldFlash (1961). I've been told it's very reliable but want to put a toolkit together from scratch.  I've a very basic technical knowledge so won't be doing anything too radical just the basic maintenance.  Been riding a Honda CB250RS  until recently so this is my first British bike.
Any hints or suggestions gratefully received.

Offline Goldy

• Advanced Member
  • Restore, Ride, Relive
    • View Profile
Re: BSA Toolkit
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 03:16:27 AM »
If you are used to Japanese bikes (metric) then the first thing you will need are BSF/Whitworth spanners. The best place for these are autojumbles or car boot sales. The best type are combination spanners with ring one end and open end the other. When I have made up tool kits in the past, I have listed the jobs I am likely to be doing, and then make up the tools. So for example if you get a puncture you need to remove the wheel - tools required?   If you adjust the tappets - tools required?  Change the oil - tools required  etc. etc.

Offline Elyvas

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 05:45:00 PM »
Thanks for that Goldy, I gues it's down to common sense and a little luck.  I don't know much about the imperial sizing so I guess a bit of research on that will help.  I'll have to try a few car boot sales from the sound of things, I've looked at the price of new sets of spanners and they're not cheep!

Offline bgough

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 07:40:56 PM »
if you log onto www.bacondozen.co.uk/ this site sells all manner of imperial and metric tools but more importantly it has a printable conversion table covering ALL imperial to imperial and metric sizes.Hope it helps,good luck.

Offline Elyvas

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 08:25:34 PM »
Cheers - the Baconsdozen site is brilliant, Just what I need!  I'm going to have to look more closely at my bike  to see what will be needed but I'm sure that'll get me on the right path.

Offline TBS

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 09:24:02 PM »
I've always used baconsdozen, he and his wife are really nice people. Sends tools out asap, has good quality Elora spanners too.

Offline Blue

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 08:55:54 PM »
try and get matching sockets for every spanner, never rely on shifting spanners
otherwise its all the same; mallets, drifts, prybars, screwdrivers, pullers, pushrod comb (probably wont need this).
spanners & sockets are most important, hammers/drifts etc you probably have, and anything else you can get as you need or just borrow.