Author Topic: Motorbike sidecar racing - Stuart Lewis  (Read 7598 times)

Offline pmmc_au

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Motorbike sidecar racing - Stuart Lewis
« on: March 04, 2012, 11:22:09 AM »
Hi,
I have a few photos of my godmother’s husband, whom we never met. All we know is that he was known by us as Stuart Lewis (aka B. W. Lewis on an i.d.) and he used to race motorbike sidecars in England. He died in 1954 and we presume he was born in the 1890’s. 
We were told by his wife Bette, that he was an avid motorbike lover, she even rode one. He and Bette lived in Oxfordshire, and at one time owned a Cowley pub there. I have some photos of Stuart in a race and some other photos from that era with unknown riders. Do you know what type of bikes Stuart is riding?
We are really finding it hard to get information on Stuart and would love to know if anyone can recognise him please? We would like to know his real name, Stuart or B. W Lewis.
Thank you for reading.
Kind Regards,
pmmc_au.
Australia.

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Motorbike sidecar racing - Stuart Lewis
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
The bike in the third photo is a Panther.

http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/pictures/1939-panther-m100/

L.A.B.

Offline pmmc_au

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 09:19:55 PM »
Thank you L.A.B. I have just checked the Panther online.  Would Stuart's have been a 600cc?
Thanks again,
pmmc_au

Offline pmmc_au

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 09:36:24 PM »
Here are a couple more photos of Stuart on motorbikes, from WWI.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 09:55:58 AM »
Stuart_motorbike.jpg in WW1 is an Indian.
A twin, with sprung rear wheel, no less.

Stuart_motorbike2.jpg in WW1 is  a Triumph.
With all the gear, by the look of it.

Both came as military versions, but its not obvious if these are military bikes or privately owned ??

Unknown rider and era3 looks to be a 7R AJS. The "boys racer".
Can't quite pick the year. They started in 1948, and ran through to the early 1960s.
Think its earlier than later, but someone who really knows them could say better.

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 10:07:48 AM »
L.A.B.

Offline pmmc_au

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 10:58:42 AM »
Unknown rider and era3 looks to be a 7R AJS. The "boys racer".
Can't quite pick the year. They started in 1948, and ran through to the early 1960s.
Think its earlier than later, but someone who really knows them could say better.

Thank you for replying. Will Google the 'boys racer'.  An observation I haven't seen before is the crowd in the above photo look like they are from the army, and the buildings could be barracks. 
Regards,
pmmc_au

Offline JFerg

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 08:28:43 PM »
Not only is that bike a Panther, it's a 1939 model, as indicated by the tank badge.  1938 was a panther head decal.  More impressive than that, this is a Model 100 (600cc) De Luxe.

Modern folklore would have us believe that a "De Luxe" Panther was a contradiction in terms, because it was significantly more expensive than the basic M100, and anyone who could afford that should have bought something else.

Main feature of the De Luxe was the twin headlights.  This was a Phelon and Moore patented system.  The headlight pivots are at top and bottom of the shell, but are away from vertical.  Electrical supply to the right headlight is via an open copper contact between the two shells.  A proper left hand twist grip operates the left shell.  Twist the grip, the left shell turn to the left, sending the beam left and down into the gutter, simultaneously opening the copper contact and extinguishing the right shell.  Voila, dipped beam!  Other De Luxe features were the dash, with space for an optional 8 day clock, rubber mounted handlebars and a twin bezel Miller tail light that apes the headlights.

The high level exhausts were a further option, so (presuming it's Stuart's outfit) Stuart is a pretty keen and dedicated sidecariste.  Snappy dresser, too.

JFerg

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 11:19:17 PM »

Thank you for replying. Will Google the 'boys racer'.  An observation I haven't seen before is the crowd in the above photo look like they are from the army, and the buildings could be barracks. 
Regards,
pmmc_au

I wondered about that. Is it Blandford Camp ?

http://www.dorsetlife.co.uk/2011/05/the-town-camp-races/

Online Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 08:12:36 AM »
 Will Google the 'boys racer'.  

Try "Boy Racer"  as that is what it's nickname was, and hopefully you will have more success.. ;)

Offline pmmc_au

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 09:20:11 AM »
Thank you everyone.  This forum has been very informative.  I appreciate it.
I now know that Stuart was a serious motor bike enthusiast.   Will have to try and find whether he had joined a racing group.  It is very interesting, and didn’t know that it was such a huge sport in those days.
Thanks again
Cheers,
pmmc_au