Author Topic: Driving Licence Renewal  (Read 4920 times)

Offline step2534

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Driving Licence Renewal
« on: April 02, 2012, 10:00:19 AM »
 Just a quick one Does anyone know wether or not DVLA have got the problem sorted re motorcyclists losing their bike entitlement???
Mine is shortly up for renewal and I am thinking of not sending my old one stating that its lost/stolen so at least  I have proof of my entitlement.
 Ive spoken to DVLA but as usuall all you get is " We havent had a issue with that sir".

Thanks in anticipation of any replies    Keith 

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Driving Licence Renewal
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 12:44:45 PM »
The problem was sorted out ages ago as far as I'm aware.
L.A.B.

Offline bikerbob

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 11:47:53 AM »
Hi there. I have just renewed my licence as I am coming up to 70 and did not have a problem did it all online new licence arrived in under aweek.

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 09:44:33 PM »
I renewed my licence on line over 3 years ago with no problems. I did not take precautions because I still have my old booklet licence with my original test information from 1956,
Of course I have had to renew it again since I reached 70 (every 3 years). A nuisance, but still no problems.
I am a member of a classic bike club with several members older than me and as far as I am aware none of those has had trouble.
We've all HEARD of problems. but does anyone KNOW someone who has had trouble?
Jim.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:49:41 PM by twolitre »
Jim Walker.

Offline bikerbob

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 04:46:16 PM »
Hi there, been away and have just seen this my younger brother did have a problem with his licence. Some years ago he lost his licence and applied for a new one but when it came he did not check it and it was not until some 2 years later that he discovered that they had omitted the category for motorcycles. He rang Swansea thinking that it would be a simple matter to have it added on. But found out that because he took his test back in the sixties the records for that were stored away, but after some arguing they agreed that if he gave them the year he passed his test they would search that year but warned him that some of the records  for each year were all mixed up it depended on wether the local office that sent them to Swansea in the seventies kept the years seperate. As it transpired they could not find the paperwork so they told him he would have to retake his test. As you can imagine he was not best pleased and insisted that this was their fault and he should not suffer, they said could you remember the name of the examiner, after 40 years he obviously could not, so they said could they ask him a personal question which was while you held full licence for motorcycles were you ever convicted of a motoring offence such as speeding he said no, it seems that if he had been convicted of a motoring offence it would be on record what type of licence he held and they would accept that as proof. So he had to retake his test which including  lessons and the theory test as well cost him over £400. The DVLA said that you should always check that you have the correct catergorys listed on your licence whenever you get it replaced and it is always a good idea to keep a photocopy of your licence.