Author Topic: they really do work  (Read 11619 times)

Offline Bentley eight

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
they really do work
« on: December 26, 2014, 09:47:29 AM »
Hi all,
It's a really ghostly misty morn here in the heart of the countryside in france,
Now ive just returned from our local village (in the car) and while we now have a newish law that all two wheeled vehicles must have their lights on all the time the vehicle is on the road some times thats not enough,

The french are known for driving right up your behind and driving on their breakes,

ie they'll over take you and then brake brake & brake for every slight bend in the road, no changing down a gear or two "just brake brake"

The other very much danger here in the countryside is the wild life ie Deer, ive had many a close one when these beasts run out and across the road,

Now taking all this into account driving is something you have to think about if you want to arrive in one piece.
Ive just" as i say" been to the local village and you couldn't see your hand in front of your face and so it was really nice to see a moped rider with not only her lights on but a bright yellow saftey bib type reflective over her jacket ,

I didnt see her rear light first it was the reflective bib "my lights caught the reflection on the strip across this bib,

As i drove on home i thought to myself "we've some good inventions that dont cost the earth but do work".

Pity the deer dont wear them ;D

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: they really do work
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 10:23:26 AM »
I dare say we have some of these bul***t laws coming our way , more nanny state or insurance company cop out

Offline bikerbob

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 11:09:07 AM »
My brother went to the bike show at the NEC Birmingham and he brought me back one of those reflective covers that you wear over your jacket. He said that it will not be long before they are compulsory in the UK so you are now ready.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 04:52:50 PM »
that's my understanding also , along with lights on in the day etc , but like a lot of useless laws who will enforce them , I see people every day driving with out seat belts , talking on phones , smoking in cars , they can bring it in if they like I will not ware one , i look a big enough tit already thanks

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 10:10:15 PM »
There are rumblings about having to wear them here in Aus too. We have had compulsory headlights on since late 1980's and it hasn't make any difference to the crash statistics.
I recently had a ride through very thick fog (about 50 yds visability) where wearing a vest would have been a good idea for being seen from behind, but the most danger was from the wildlife. In 30Km I had near misses with four Kangaroo's, a Rabbit and a Possum. None of them would have cared what I was wearing!

Offline Bentley eight

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 12:20:48 AM »
There are rumblings about having to wear them here in Aus too. We have had compulsory headlights on since late 1980's and it hasn't make any difference to the crash statistics.
I recently had a ride through very thick fog (about 50 yds visability) where wearing a vest would have been a good idea for being seen from behind, but the most danger was from the wildlife. In 30Km I had near misses with four Kangaroo's, a Rabbit and a Possum. None of them would have cared what I was wearing!
I know what your saying , I said the same when they made skid/lids law and we had to wear them, but you must agree they've saved a lot of lives and the same for seat belts, i dont even think about putting them on now its an automatic thing now,

And ref the laws being enforced, I honestly think the police want to take a good look at tractors & trailers, i live in the countryside and the times ive seen trailers with no lights at the rear or the flashing orange light on the roof is just not thinking about,
But if you ride up to a flat deck trailer as its getting a bit darker you cant see the back of it if the trailers empty and its like waiting for your head to be sliced off,
I think most riders at some time or other have had near misses but crash helmits and leathers and the high visability (have i spelt that right :-\)
I think are a good idea, i dont want to end up in the hospital or on a slab,
Just think if your working paying for the house, or the bike even and you end up off work for months all because you didnt use Leathers or the old excuse "i didnt see the bike" !!!!!! But without earnings how do we pay for these things in life??
It's us who fall behind with paying for the house /the bills etc,

It makes good sense to me to have lights on, have a good (and thats important) helmit not some cheap egg shell type /leathers and any aid that helps us be seen, (we cant really do anymore except keep the bike in good safe order)

not all car drivers are bike haters, some just need that something that makes us stand out.

My motto is this you get two guarantees in life (a) your born  (b) one day your going to die,
It's what you yourself do inbetween A&B that counts,
Im sure if we could dig up half the dead people and ask them if you had the chance would you do anything different to live a bit longer!!!
see your kids grow up, see your life lasting longer!!!
Ive a good idea the answer would be "yes". ;D

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 11:07:34 AM »
I wore a helmet before it became law and always would , but please post a pick of your self in your full face helmet , full leathers with your high viz vest over the top , riding down a country lane in rural france on your LE velocette , you will win the tit of the year award im sure , watch the ignition does not fail when the battery goes flat due to lights on 24/7
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 11:09:53 AM by mark2 »

Offline Bentley eight

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 04:53:27 PM »
Mark mark,
your coming over as being me nasty, i see no need to use the words bit of a tit etc,
Im pleased to be in my own bed every night if poss and not a hospital one,

If every thing ref making if safer to ride or drive is against your way of life??? Then fine, be it your way of doing things, ive been honest and true to what i say ref wearing the kit to save me as much as poss should i come into contact with both wild animals and the drivers who have the idea's the laws not for me type of person,
But Mark this is my choice in life, driving and riding has changed so much over the years it's just not true,
What i said ref being seen is at the moment my choice its not law just yet,
I drive  an 8 ltr Bentley it's big fast and a very strong car  but i still ensure i give cyclist / Horse riders and walkers plenty of room, and if in bad weather i can see them better thanks to them wearing the vest etc "great"

Then this helps me and anyone behind me have a better chance to slow down and do do something about the situation,

Driving and riding has changed no end over the years but when it comes to road /track saftey we're still a little behind the "shall we say "modern ways!!!!!

Ive no wish to be hurt or hurt anyone else both in my driving / riding or putting bloggs on sites such as this one, so lets drop the  "the tit of the year stuff" 
Mark it's really not called for in any way.
REF this bit about the battery going dead in the LE VELOCETTE ive not tried it out yet, but i'll let you know if your right or not,
Now is there any chance of us talking to each other in a nicer manner? ??? ???
Regards Bentley eight.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 08:24:45 PM »
any chance of a pic ? the velo battery will go flat (I have one) . is English your first language

Offline Bentley eight

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 04:10:11 PM »
Mark i did reply your last, have you recieved it ?

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 05:27:38 PM »
no try again

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 01:07:07 PM »
still no sign , are you sure you have sent one

Offline Bentley eight

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 05:26:10 PM »
Hi Mark,
I thought i sent a reply but for some reason it didnt register, so here is a repeat one,

Now ref pics of any of the bikes , maybe later in the year as they are all tucked - up asleep in the barn at the gite and until approx april time I'll not be moving them about, but 'I'll be making room in the barn here at our place and the bikes will all be coming here along with the hydrolic lift,
So yes "but" not just now,
REf the 6 volt battery , ive been reading in the "old bike mart about some new batteries that other's have said are very good and better than the old style ones, so as ive a few new batteries to buy both 6 & 12 volt ones i'll give the newer 6 volt a go and see how the changes are in respect to keeping the charge going with lights on.

Ref language "yes " english is my first language.

So now lets hope this reply gets to you.
Regards Bentley eight.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 07:11:11 PM »
miller 6Volt system ?

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 08:20:47 PM »
Bentley, I use the Motobatt AGM batteries in my bikes with no problems. Keep their charge for months without having to have them hooked up to a trickle charger all the time. Some people have had problems with them, but of the dozen or so that I have used have only had one that I had to get warranty on.