Author Topic: Carburettor slider for the Amal mk11 T140 Bonneville.  (Read 5343 times)

Offline popstar1

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Carburettor slider for the Amal mk11 T140 Bonneville.
« on: August 01, 2016, 09:11:01 AM »
 The throttle slide on my Mk11 carburettors has the number 2928 imprinted on the bottom and also a number 3,  I am running the correct main jets 200's  and also the correct pilot jets  The machine is even with the throttle stop screw at its lowest setting where it doesn't touch the slider is  running at 1200 rpm and I cannot get it any lower  even when it is at lowest setting where it doesn't touch the slider it's running at 1200 rpm . The pilot air screw is 2 1/2 times out from full in position, the  needle is set in the middle, The only thing I can think of is that the cutout on the slider is too big for standard Road going T140E. I should  also point out that the carb rubbers  are brand-new and the carburettors have only done 200 miles from new .

Offline chaterlea25

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Carburettor slider for the Amal mk11 T140 Bonneville.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 06:22:37 PM »
Hi,
Is there free play in the throttle cables?
The engine should not continue to run if the slides shut fully? you should hear a positive clunk when the throttle is left snap shut from an open position
If the slides are closing fully then there must be an air leak? spray wd40 around the carb rubbers inlet manifolds if the engine revs change theres a leak
2 1/2 turns out seems a lot??? try 1 1/2 for a start
Slide cutaway does not affect tickover speed

John

Offline popstar1

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 11:33:44 AM »
Hello thanks have added two photographs to this posting because I've noticed that the choke plunger  on one of the carburettors does not have the imprint of the hole  that it covers where as the other one on the left hand side does, could this be because of the relatively high tickover 1200rpm, I have also included a photograph of what I believe is the correct carb slider for a standard T140e, The courts have only been used on  two or three occasions and off all the wires in pristine condition .

Offline popstar1

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 11:35:39 AM »
 Okay this one shows the choke  plunger .

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 03:20:19 PM »
Hello thanks have added two photographs to this posting because I've noticed that the choke plunger  on one of the carburettors does not have the imprint of the hole  that it covers where as the other one on the left hand side does, could this be because of the relatively high tickover 1200rpm,

It may well be the cause of the high tick over. The RH carb choke plunger not fully seating was a known problem and the 'factory' modification was to elongate the outer end of one of the holes in the choke linkage bar so it was then a 3/16" 'slot' and that should allow the RH choke plunger to fully seat when the choke is off.   

I have also included a photograph of what I believe is the correct carb slider for a standard T140e,

2928 would be the correct slide part number and '3' is the correct cutaway number for an 'E'.
L.A.B.

Offline popstar1

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 06:17:05 PM »
Is it  possible to  elongate the choke plunger with the rubber seal on the end ?

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 06:41:23 PM »
Is it  possible to  elongate the choke plunger with the rubber seal on the end ?

I don't know.

L.A.B.

Offline popstar1

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 09:28:39 AM »
 I have discovered that the plunger on the right hand side carburettor was 0.75 mm shorter than the  left hand side carb, that meant that it wasn't fully covering the choke hole beneath it , I found that the solution was to take material off of the upper spring clip holder and also the lever holder to the equivalent of 0.75 this then let the plunger seal at the bottom interface correctly with the choke hole , The bike now ticks over at a steady 800 rpm and picks up really sweetly .