Author Topic: Norton Electra Timing  (Read 1721 times)

Offline ramwing7

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Norton Electra Timing
« on: September 16, 2021, 08:51:17 PM »
I'm trying to set the timing on a Norton Electra and having difficulty.
First of all, I can't find a place to hang a timing wheel.  The drive side of the crankshaft has the rubegoldbergish starter assembly on the end of the shaft, so you can't get to it.
I was thinking of using the end of the points cam bolt and setting it at 15 degrees BTDC of rotation (that's based on the assumption that that shaft is turning at half the speed of the crankshaft).  Is that feasible at all?
Secondly, after setting the proper piston at TDC and backing it down a bit, it doesn't seem to matter how much I rotate the points backing plate, I get no reaction from the test light.
The Electra manual calls for timing to be set at 30 degrees BTDC.

It's been quite a while since I've done this, so what am I missing?

Also the ignition system is a Rooster system that retains the points.

Thanks.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Norton Electra Timing
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 03:34:28 AM »

Secondly, after setting the proper piston at TDC and backing it down a bit, it doesn't seem to matter how much I rotate the points backing plate, I get no reaction from the test light.

Something to bear in mind is that when setting the timing, you should ALWAYS rotate the engine forward to get to where you want it to spark.
Otherwise, all your backlashes can accumulate, and the timing will be in nowheresville.

And until you can get your timing light to show something, its not going anywhere either, is it !
Obviously we can't see what you have done, but if you open the points manually the light should come on or go off.
And until it does, you need to work on it.  Having something earthed or not isolated is a common cause of this
- but we can't see what you have done ...
Have fun !

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 08:12:03 AM »
If you have the manual why not follow the sequence set out in there? Does it mention timing marks?

Offline ramwing7

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 04:28:11 PM »
to be honest any documentation I've found mounts the degree wheel on the end of the crankshaft.  To reach the end of the crankshaft on an Electra you must remove the whole stater mechanism which is a pain in the buttocks.
I was hoping to avoid that exercise.   :(

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 05:58:51 PM »
Is it not possible to use the tried, tested and traditional pencil down the plug 'ole with the timing locked on full advance? Maybe set at  5/16 BTDC and see if it runs?

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 06:04:55 PM »
This any use to you?
http://www.aoservices.co.uk/info/NORTONLGTWT.pdf

It's the same bloke who supplies the useless VReg2 regulator but we'll overlook that..