Author Topic: Primary chain lubrication  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Oggers

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Primary chain lubrication
« on: August 09, 2022, 03:29:27 PM »
Gents

As discussed previously, I have minor issues with pressed steel chaincases leaking chain lube oil. This is not for want of trying to seal things up, but they still drip after a run.

As an interim measure, and until I can resolve the root cause properly, one or two owners tell me they use heavy duty grease on the primary chain to reduce any leaks from the chaincase. Red n tacky Lucas grease was mentioned, the idea being that the grease adheres to the chain better than the recommended thinner oil, and being considerably thicker, has less propensity to leak from the chaincase. Some oil is also used but not as much - just to keep other things inside the chaincase lubricated - seals I think in come cases....

Thoughts welcome.     

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Primary chain lubrication
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 08:44:36 AM »
Heavy grease on a (relatively) fast running chain sounds  pointless to me.
The lube (whether oil grease or spray) needs to penetrate to the pivots and rollers to lube the wear points, and I can't see heavy grease doing that.
{BSA A7/10s lubricate their dynamo chains with grease packed in to a enclosed area, and that always seemed a bit duff too}
Why not the usual "few squirts of an oil can" prior to a run?

Offline Oggers

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2022, 08:57:16 AM »
The idea being the heavy grease has a greater chance of staying where it is put. Oil on its own will simply fling off.   

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2022, 09:30:09 AM »
Rex is right. Heavy grease won't penetrate.
I can understand owners slapping heavy grease into a primary chaincase to give a temporary seal as it is flung off and packed around the outer circumference of the case. The necessary lubricating oil may then stay in for a while longer.
That red and tacky Lucas grease gets very watery when hot then acts like oil. It's sort of like an early semi-fluid grease in action.
Why not just fix the thing once and for all. Discussing which bodge might work best doesn't get the blood racing does it.

Offline Oggers

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2022, 09:51:52 AM »
The intention is indeed to fix it properly. I am after an interim measure so I can ride about in this glorious weather. Oil is still present in the chaincase and the chain is lubed up with Motul chain spray. Interesting point about the grease acting as a seal.