Author Topic: Albion HCN gearbox 3 gears + reverse  (Read 23 times)

Offline Albion EJ

  • Advanced Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 19
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • Email
Albion HCN gearbox 3 gears + reverse
« on: September 27, 2026, 07:41:03 PM »
Hello can someone tell me where this one was used?
And what is roughly the value of such a complete gearbox?
I am located in the Netherlands so if someone is interested….

Offline 33d6

  • Advanced Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1212
  • Karma: +27/-4
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Albion HCN gearbox 3 gears + reverse
« Reply #1 on: Today at 07:08:34 AM »
I don't know of any motorcycle factory that ever fitted that type of three speed and reverse gearbox as standard. They may have done it as a one-off as a special order but not as a regular catalogue machine. Usually they were found in some sort of industrial machinery. Used in all sorts of applications in warehouses, freight depots and the like in pre forklift days. Albion adapted them out of the more usual four speed box.
I've no idea of the value but I can't see it attracting many buyers except as spares for a regular H series four speed box.
Albion kept making these up to at least the 1950's so probably not as old as you would think.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Offline R

  • Advanced Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1678
  • Karma: +26/-10
    • View Profile
Re: Albion HCN gearbox 3 gears + reverse
« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:59:51 AM »
AI has this to say -
The Albion HJR is the classic and well-known vintage mid-1930s middle-weight Albion gearbox featuring 3 forward speeds
and 1 reverse gear, commonly used in motorized three-wheel delivery carriers, light agricultural auto-trucks, and cyclecars.

I think I've seen one in a light car at a show someplace
Hence the reverse gear

If you pay them enough, someone is sure to take it off your hands  !!