Author Topic: 1929 Sunbeam model 2  (Read 6552 times)

Offline harry

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
1929 Sunbeam model 2
« on: February 07, 2008, 03:30:25 AM »
 8)I am thinking of buying a 350 sidevalve  model two Sunbeam a make I have not     previously owned.Does anybody out there have any experience of this model?.As I have been riding bikes for over fifty years I do not expect a brilliant performance from a  350cc machine of such an age, what I would like to know about is the weakspots  Are the brakes any good? ,had the oiling system been sorted out by then?-any information will be much appreciated
  ::) ::)

Offline BEAMA

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1929 Sunbeam model 2
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 05:36:49 AM »
HI HARRY,
                1929 MODEL 2 SUNBEAM SPORTING SIDE VALVE 350CC, WIDE RATIO  3 SPEED GEARBOX. VERY RELIABLE, EXCELLENT REAR BRAKE, WEAK FRONT BRAKE, OLD STYLE OILING SYSTEM WITH SIGHT GLASS FEED ON PUMP.( NOT A PROBLEM) BUT THEY CAN WET SUMP IF LEFT FOR A WHILE AND SMOKE THE STREET OUT.
NO WEAKNESSES BUT ONLY PUT THIN OIL IN PRIMARY TO JUST TOUCH CHAIN OR YOU MAY HAVE CLUTCH SLIP. USE 1/2 AND 1/2 OF GREASE AND GEAR OIL IN GEARBOX TO PREVENT LEAKS. ( FACTORY RECOMMENDED)
SUNBEAM PERFORMANCE IS ON PAR WITH 1950's BIKES
OF THE SAME CAPACITY SO THEY ARE  NOT FLAT !
THERE IS A CLUB FOR MARSTON SUNBEAMS, IF YOU ARE INTERESTED SEND ME A E-MAIL AND I WILL FORWARD DETAILS.( CLICK ON MY USER NAME )

BEAMA  

« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 05:40:16 AM by BEAMA »

Offline harry

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 06:29:53 PM »
 :DThank you beama for your  e mail regarding the Sunbeam model 2.The remark about wet sumping reminded me of a model 18 Norton I onc owned it had a tap to stop this problem and if one forgot to turn it off after a few days all the oil was in the engine---lots of smoke.I have decided against buying this particular machine as it had a lot of none original components -headlamp,handlebars and levers,footrests,and would need a strip down and rebuild to bring it up to standard though it appeard to be OK mechanically.I have been there before and have a veteran james and a GTP velo.I am a member of the  Sunbeam Club and had forgotten about the Marston  Club perhaps I will join though all these subs cost a lot over the year.Once again many thanks for your knowledge.  Ian                            

Offline harry

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 02:40:41 AM »
Hi beama just thought I would let you know I  have today found and bought a 1928 model 8 350cc OHV Sunbeam.It seems to be in excellent condition.One queery I raised is the rim sizes;the front rim takes a wider section tyre  than the rear I got a good reduction on the price so if the wheels have to be relaced I wont .be out of pocket Ride safely      harry

Offline richard_Bonser

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 04:14:53 AM »
hello harry i ride a 1929 sunbeam and can highly recommend them i have to send the brakes a postcard when i think we may need to stop but apart from that they are great a true classic in my humble opinion if you send me your email address i will send you some photos ragards richard

Offline harry

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 05:10:36 AM »
Hi, Richard  many thanks for your message about the Sunbeam.i havent been out on it yet the carrier had received a bash  and the tube was bent so half the day has been spent fixing, tomorrow a few coats of paint and, it will soon be finished.Brakes you say need a postcard well my old veteran James needs a postal service;stirrup brake at the front and a dummy belt rim at the back one has to ride about fifty yards ahead of the bike if you get the drift.The guy who sold the bike left a note saying to prime the sight glass before starting the engine.I did try a couple of strokes of the hand pump but there was no oil passing through the glass.Any comment?  Email  the picture to my wife where it can be printed the address is telfordbm@yahoo.co.uk  ;many thanks .Harry