Author Topic: building a fake '08...need advice  (Read 6578 times)

Offline redcoat

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
building a fake '08...need advice
« on: October 08, 2008, 05:02:34 AM »
I posted some months ago asking for (and got) advice as I was turning a ratty old Honda 400 into a bike that could be mistaken for a 50's 500cc Triumph at 50 feet or 50 mph. It worked WAY better than I thought!

Anyhow, my next project is to fake something really old, like 1903-1908 ish.

I have an old heavy bycle frame, with wide rims and balloon tires. Sorry, no girder forks or archaic suspension. I have an 80cc single cyclinder engine from China. I intend adding a "flat tank", copper pipe fuel line, and old brass amal in line filter, a bulb horn, rear rack etc. If you have suggestions for more stuff, let me know!!

However, the first thing is the frame, the foundation I'll build on. It needs repainting which will be done by Mr. Rattlecan.

Question: Most images I can find of vetran bikes are not in colour. Should I go gloss black, semi-gloss (to look older) or some deep green or other? I was thinking deep green and gold lettering. Send me suggetions- there isn't a vetran bike near me I can inspect for 6000 miles.

Lastly, a name. I need to come up with a fake maker. Majestic? Marvelous? Grudge?

I'll let you know how it comes along

Justin

Offline henry_norton

• Advanced Member
  • get out there
    • View Profile
Re: building a fake '08...need advice
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 10:11:01 AM »
'Grudge' I like that - Done in a Rudge Whitworth script on a green bike would get you quite a few second glances.  :o

As for finish, most museum pieces have a finish like glass but I think bikes always look more authentic if they're a bit dull and 'patinated'.

Post some pics when you're done. HN

Offline Blue

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 03:13:25 PM »
Phobof.  The Phobof Pharce is good.  That was a bit of a thing we did back in the day, registered mongrel bikes in the name of Phobof - I think a magazine started it all.  Things like the Phobof Pharce, Phantom, Pharrier, Phairy (a scooter), Phastback ... ah happy days.

Personally i think you'd be better off with narrow wheels, but i suppose its a case of use what you can get.  Other suggestions include:
Very wide handlebars (preferably inch-diameter);
Bar-end levers;
'Running boards'...

Offline Searchguru

• Advanced Member
  • Suck, squeeze, bang, blow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 01:07:56 PM »
My suggestion is - THRUSH.
As the whole concept might irritate some people!
Have you got some pics of your previous creation?
Cheers

Offline redcoat

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 08:13:45 PM »
All good ideas! But now I can't decide. I was looking for a name for the faked brit bike, and still haven't got a name, or tank emblem for it. It's been nick-named "Marvelous Motorcycle", but that's sort of 1910 when the names were mostly adjectives, Superiour, Rex, . Maybe I should call the 1905 fake the Marvelous Motorcycle (built by R. Smith and sons, lower sheeps bottom, Warwick) and you could help with a name for the 1950/60 one. Thrush and Grudge are good...

Here's some pics. Black on black doesn't show much detail though, but the gold transfers look good, as does the tank "bag rack". I think it's mostly the angle of the exhaust headers, rubber knee pads, bag rack and front number plate that throw people.

A fun bike. Wish I'd left the big windscreen on for the trip to Mexico. 5000 unfaired miles left me with bleeding lips for weeks, sandblasted face and an aching neck (wind blast).
Justin

Offline redcoat

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 08:14:59 PM »
I'll try adding pics again

Offline redcoat

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 08:16:45 PM »
completed with tank rack

Offline redcoat

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 08:18:15 PM »
in mexico

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 08:51:11 AM »
Good bike for a trip like that.
Do you have any pics of the Honda/50s Triumph look-a-like?

Offline redcoat

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 06:46:38 PM »
Those would be the pictures directly above your question. Maybe it isn't such a great fake after all. But I get enough questions about what year the "old Triumph" is...

Justin

Offline Searchguru

• Advanced Member
  • Suck, squeeze, bang, blow
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 08:23:04 PM »
Redcoat,
You missed the mark by not having a pool of black oil beneath the bike whenever it stands still. Other than that it looks fun and you obviously enjoy it. Good luck with the new project and do some back lane 'scratching' on the Thrush!!!!!!