Author Topic: Moto Guzzi Super Alce Pre Falcone 500 Single  (Read 55273 times)

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Moto Guzzi Super Alce Pre Falcone 500 Single
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 12:13:57 PM »
The chrome is hopeless and peeling off everywhere, except the inside the front brake.  Why would anyone chrome inside there?  There was never any chrome on this bike anyway.  I don't want to copy another model and unless I get an exact match for the Moto Guzzi red or it won't look right. 

I got the registration number and tax disc today.  After the saga I went through with DVLA the past two weeks I think I may keep it red just so I don't have to change the log book again.  The registration number now ends with YUK, about right. 

The bike splits int two pieces by taking out three bolts, a few pipes and some wiring so really easy to work on but can I get the fuel tank off.  Can I ***k.  I think it's held on with glue. 

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 10:35:31 PM »
The chrome is hopeless and peeling off everywhere,

Thats a bit different then - but it does look good in red.

Red guzzis seem to vary greatly over the years in hue and shade - if you say it was a tuesday (martedi)  color, none can disagree with that ??

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 01:00:55 AM »
I think you're right red is the way to go but I have two red bikes already. 

I can live with it.  I'll go for Wednesday shade of red with a bit of pinstripe in cream and maybe replace that chrome on the tank with cream too.  (Blood and custard)

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 01:10:53 AM »
What would you say if I told you both those red bikes cost less than £2000.00 for the pair. 

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 11:37:51 PM »
Had a bit of spare time today so took my Dremel with a grinding disc to the worn out ratchet teeth on the kick start gear.  It did the job and the kick start works OK.  Put some fresh fuel in the tank and checked the oil.  Had a spark at the plug so set up a camera and kicked it over.  It went first time, now I know a lot of people say that but it really was.  It fires up easy so I was able to check the generator and oil feed and that sort of thing. 

Got a list of things to do before thinking about paint.  Brake linings, new clutch plates, still need a new kick start gear set, pull out the dent from the tank and general check of everything.  I hope to take it for a short test ride before Christmas day so must get the chrome out of the front brake before that.  Got the V5 through today so all legal now too. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUSwKMHcAYE

Offline JFerg

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 05:55:32 AM »
Guzzi singles came in a range of colours.  These days you only ever see red ones, and that's evolved into a belief that they all were that colour.  There were a variety of maroons and browns, and a dark blue.  In the immediate post-war period I suspect they used whatever they either had or could get cheap.  The V8, of course, was a sage-ish green.  This was not a colour as such, merely a case that in order to minimise weight it was only ever primed; but it's become accepted as a "Guzzi colour.

Paint it whatever you like; it's your bike.  Sage-ish green with gold lines sounds good to me, and you can claim it as the factory race team colours......

JFerg

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 10:11:22 AM »
I will decide later about the colour, I do like the red but the problem is other owners.  If the shade isn't exactly right the purists go into a long rant about it.  I thought if I went for a non standard paint job it would solve the problem.  I don't have a green bike in my collection but after dealing with the DVLA recently I may just go with the log book which is red. 

I did work in a paint shop a few days ago but their colour range is very limited, the red they use is raspberry.  That would be way out. 

I should be sleeping today after working all night but it's the day my next door neighbour is having cavity wall insulation.  So that's out.  I'll play with the bike instead. 

A green one for sale at the moment.

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 12:21:48 AM »
I'm interested to get some views on what to do with this bike.  I considered all the colour options and have a couple of offers to shot blast and paint it by some of my customers.  It's quite tatty, the chrome is bad, the paint is bad, the rims are bad but mechanically it's very good.  Everything works and I sorted out the brakes.  It goes and stops. 

Do I restore it to "like new" condition, paint, chrome the whole thing over the next couple of years?

Do I leave it as it is with all the battle scars and it's history intact then ride and repair it as I go?

Do I leave it as it is and just use and maintain it?

The number plates are coming on Thursday so once their fitted I can take it out for a ride. 

Offline JFerg

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 12:56:28 AM »
Statik, remember that this is a motorcycle.  It was designed and intended by its maker to be ridden.  If it's mechanically sound, and safe, then just use it.  Look after it, maintain and service it, but use it as intended.  We don't see enough un-restored and properly used bikes these days, but they have many advantages over a fresh restoration.  Apart from the established mechanical harmony which makes them more reliable than a fresh rebuild, a less than gleaming bike can be used in the wet, in the dirt and anywhere else with much less concern than a shiny one.  Consequently the fun potential is far greater.

It's also soooo much cheaper, and the fun is far more immediate.  The object of the game is to have as much fun as you can get away with, so go for it.

cheers,
Ferg

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 01:08:17 AM »
Yes JFerg I agree, last year I went to the Manx GP on and unrestored oily rag 1950 Norton ES2. I go every year on this bike and ride it hail, rain, snow or shine. Last year I was approached by a fellow who was riding an unrestored Beeza M21 in Ramsay and asked if I would join SPURM.... apparently it's the Society for the Preservation of UnRestored Motorcycles, a Manx  group.

I have umpteen restored bikes that only get ridden on high days and holidays, but my ES2 gets out all the time, it's the bike I have most fun on primarily because I know it's not going to get spoiled.
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

Offline JFerg

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 08:25:13 AM »
Thanks, Bomber.

I ride an original and unrestored pre-war Panther 600 with the same delight.  Now I'm going to google "spurm", it sounds like my kind of bunch.

cheers,

wetdog

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 12:49:27 PM »
dito .panther 1932 ish every day hack . very underated machine

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 02:17:54 PM »
I agree with all of you on that.  My Sunbeam is a "user" in good condition but...............shall I say the history is intact.  I don't own a fully restored bike they all get used, washed with washing up liquid and dried off.  That's it.  I take your advise and ride it as it is. 

Love those Panthers lads, one was on my list when I got the Moto Guzzi.  I had two in the past model 100's.  I don't remember much about the first one it was my daily hack one winter so I could keep my Norton Commando in the garage.  I should think the Panther's worth more than the Norton I was protecting these days. 

A few will cringe now but  I turned one into a 70's style Chopper painted it lime green metallic, long forks, lowered back end and rode it all over Europe, it was in the 70's so the fashion of the time (my back still hurts from that).  Again I don't remember too many details, it was the 70's after all and I was lucky to remember my name after that. 

Just in the Christmas spirit one my nephew's kids saw it the other day and told his dad.  "Uncle Stu has Santas bike in his workshop."  Made me laugh. 

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2012, 05:21:11 PM »
Not very happy today all was going well and the number plates arrived.  They look great Framptons did a nice job I recommend them.  I was just cleaning bits and pieces and greasing up the forks and I found a crack in the bottom spring bracket.  Don't know the exact name for the part but I made up a few new ones.  Now I have to go over the rest of the bike to make sure the thick layer of paint isn't hiding more cracks.  Not very happy because I was going to ride it for the first time tomorrow. 

I did check the weather but found it inconclusive (joke). 

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2012, 08:10:18 PM »
Now I know why the previous owner sold the bike so cheap.  I spent the entire evening looking over the bike and it's OK.  The bit that's gone is quite lethal but it's made from mild steel, manufactured into a support for the bottom of the spring.  But I can fix it. 

I'm going to weld the pieces back in place then dress them to shape.  Drill out the two 8mm holes though a template.  Then cook in a controlled fire until cherry red.  Quench in the slurry of Diesel engine motor oil from cherry red and cook again until hot.  Then possible case harden in more carbon.  Maybe not.  Got to research it. 

That should temper the metal to remove the stress of the last 57 years and we start all over again.  Hopefully. 

What do you think? Am I on the right track or should I make a new part form scratch?