Author Topic: Moto Guzzi Super Alce Pre Falcone 500 Single  (Read 55317 times)

Offline JFerg

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Moto Guzzi Super Alce Pre Falcone 500 Single
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2012, 10:44:51 PM »
I doubt that this piece was ever hardened, other than by work hardening. Patch weld it back to shape and then plate it for a bit extra strength.
JFerg

Offline JFerg

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2012, 10:47:43 PM »
Clarification!!  By "plate" I meant weld another piece of steel across the thing to beef up the whole assembly and increase the thickness at the ends.  A piece of eighth steel plate cut to size for example.

I didn't mean shiny chrome!
JFerg

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2012, 10:54:20 PM »
Was just about to question this 'plate', but you answered that.
Indeed, a strap of steel across the 'back' (where we can't see) to strengthen it, and some longer bolts (?), and bobs your uncle. (Where did that expression come from ?).  Looks thin enough its surprising it lasted this long - or did the spares dept do a thriving business in them...

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2012, 01:25:14 AM »
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/bobs-your-uncle.html

But then again... Fanny is your aunt!
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2012, 10:22:33 AM »
I worked a lot with Italian industrial machines and mostly the metal they produce is poor quality.  A piece of their steel can vary inch by inch.  I was bending some bar to make brackets and every so often it would snap, there was hard and soft sections.  Some parts I couldn't drill and some was like butter. 

On the back of this piece there's a web welded on (no not a spider web) to strengthen it at the center of the spring so quite awkward to modify.  I may just make a new piece from fresh steel. 

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2012, 01:05:35 PM »
The back of the piece is strengthened by a web so I'm limited.  I don't want to weld anything underneath because that will lift the bottom of the spring, all work has to be done on top then all I need to do is fit longer bolts for the extra thickness.  I may cut out the bad bits right out and weld in new 1/8" steel flat bar.  I will temper it after. 

Rubbish Italian steel. 

JFerg, "plate" meant something else when I was at school and it wasn't chrome either  ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 01:08:58 PM by statik »

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2012, 01:42:31 PM »
This is where the part fits into the forks.  It spans the legs and actions on the bottom of the spring.  If I weld anything underneath it will change the spring position.  That could change the suspension geometry a bit.  Look at the picture and you'll see what I mean, the end is behind the damper wing nut. 

Offline JFerg

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2012, 01:54:17 AM »
Lovely pictures, Statik, an easy thousand words in each.

Given that it's taken 60 years of use to get to this stage, you could fairly confidently rebuild in the same gauge, but I'd look at putting a plate across the underneath, taking back either side of the rib.  Sure, this will take up some of the pre-load in the spring, but that's all it will do.  Hypothetically this will change the geometry, negligibly, but not in practice.  In practice the whole thing is completely dynamic at all times, and even a quarter inch would be negligible; and you can bet that over its 60 years the spring has sagged more than that anyway.  To properly change the geometry you need to start messing with link lengths, and that's not happening.

Ahhh, Statik, I see you went to "one of those" schools.....

JFerg

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2012, 03:10:18 PM »
Welded it up today, what a cow of a job.  Tried to Arc weld it with all kinds of rod at various amps and the 1/8" flat wouldn't take to the Italian steel.  Ground it out three times and in the end it was getting silly.  We went and got some gas for the TIG and that did it.  Trouble is we had so many goes at it things were getting messy.  Anyway it's done now and all I have to do is drill fresh 8mm holes and it can go back on. 

See what I mean scruffy but the old saying goes.   "A coat of paint hides a multitude of sins"......(Bomber).   ;D

I'll make a new part next year out of flat bar and play with the thickness to see if the geometry changes at all.  I think your right JFerg it's so small it won't matter.  My mate has a plasma cutter so he does some nice shapes.  It's not a hard thing to make. 

Anyway I hope some are enjoying my efforts on this project and would like to see some of you in the flesh in the new year, Oakdene maybe.  From me and the broken Guzzi we wish you a good Christmas. 

Stuart.

Offline JFerg

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2012, 09:40:44 PM »
Good result, Statik.  A proper fix.

Have a great Christmas etc.

cheers,
JFerg

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2012, 11:51:40 AM »
Christmas day morning and the family are round.  Best place for me is the workshop fitting the suspension part, they were only moaning about the weather and repeats on the TV anyway. 

I didn't have any red paint so I did it black for now and left it in the airing cupboard over night to harden.  It went straight in and while I was looking for a couple of stainless steel 8mm bolts I found an aerosol of red.  Isn't that normal, never mind. 

I wanted to ride it today but the weather is against me, thunderstorms and hailstones isn't good to ride a bike with heel operated back brake and heel-and-toe gears for the first time.  Maybe tomorrow. 

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2012, 12:39:13 AM »
Just a quick update, I rode it Boxing day but the clutch slipped like mad.  There was an oil circulation problem and the cylinder got quite hot.  I found the oil to be very thick so I drained it out.  That took all day to empty so when I said thick I meant treacle, my guess it's why the clutch slipped. 

Fresh oil was added, 30 grade and I'll change it again soon.  The engine warmed through nicely and I don't think there is any damage.  I found I could adjust the Dell'orto carb to a very slow tick over and it has a smooth pick-up from anywhere in the rev-range.  I'm so impressed I may fit a pair to replace the Amal on my Triumph. 

we have been drowned in rain the past couple of days in South London so I hope it dries out a bit for the weekend so I can give it another ride.  All the things I worried about like the heel brake and rocker gear change wasn't an issue. 

Offline a10 newbie

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2013, 01:51:08 PM »
Hello,
new member here. I've got a couple of Guzzi singles, including this:

I've also got a Nuovo Falcone in Civile trim.

For spares, I can get pretty much everything I need from: www.stucchiluigi.it
They speak english over the phone and should be able to sort you out.

Corsa Italiana, in Hersham, have a superb Super Alce in urestored condition, including the machine gun mount! ( You know its a military bike, right, so you're not obliterating originality if you overpaint anything). Its well worth a trip there to have a look, or if you get stuck let me know and I can pop over and take a detailed photo if it helps.

Good luck with the project- slow project, slow bikes! (but fun :D)

Cheers

A tutto gas

Paul

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2013, 08:19:48 PM »
Thanks for that Paul I'll give them a call, the bike looks nice (Guardando bene).  I don't bother with power these days so the little Moto Guzzi will suit me. 

I sorted out the clutch by trial and error and eventually got it working normally, if a hefty clunk is normal anyway.  It rides very smooth and the suspension irons out the bumps even long after it hit one.  Must sort out the damping. 

The carburettor is a modern flat slide Dellorto VHB26BS and works so well I'm thinking of using them on another bike.  Got to keep an eye open for an original but they are very hard to come by, some guy was asking £650 for a new one in the box.  I can live with the wrong one for now. 

For the time being it's in the back of the garage and I'm playing with the Zundapp Bella in the workshop for the next few weeks. 

Offline a10 newbie

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2013, 05:52:33 PM »
Ciao!
I've a VHB on the Falcone. The sport came with a 29mm SS1 and the 'normale' with a 27mm unit. Mine was a 27mm and FUBAR'd. I fitted a sport inlet manifold and the larger carb, a secondhand unit from an autojumble, you see them everywhere. I think I paid £30 for it. When you get to that point I can have a poke inside and see what jets were fitted, I had it set up by Brian Silver.  Don't buy a new one!!

Cheers

ATG
Paul