Author Topic: 1914 Humber number problem sunbeam club  (Read 33543 times)

Offline P.V. Motorcycles

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1914 Humber number problem sunbeam club
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 09:45:50 PM »
It's been explained to you that the keepers of the register (now long dead) decided (for reasons best known to them, which are lost to history) to withdraw and re-issue certificate numbers in the early days of the register.

There doesn't appear to be any sense to it looking back, but that's the situation: there's nothing the current registrar can do about that, and there's little to be gained by throwing terms like 'Hitler' about.

Now machines keep the register number in perpetuity: like it or not, the original register number for your machine is now assigned to another one.

If the provenance of your machine means that it's identifiably veteran, you'll be able to have it included on the register again, under a new number.

wetdog

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 07:23:15 AM »
it has been issued a new number but i will keep the origional thanks , my number was reissued to a sunbeam member recently . I know its history and thats why im keeping it with all the origional documentation thanks

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 08:13:31 AM »
Why did I think about the antics of the Vincent HRD owners club?
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

wetdog

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 09:58:45 AM »
there does appear to be problems with all the larger vintage clubs , down to money I think , VOC recent problems was/is a case of a person trying to avoid the unfare death dutys , maybe he should have considerd a civil partnership with his mate  :).

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 01:12:18 PM »
More like human greed seeing the chance to nab stuff from a deceased's estate while the going was good. Nasty opportunism.

wetdog

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 02:46:47 PM »
maybe we will never know ................... its a fine line i think , if you are offerd a bargain do you say no and let the next person buy it , lets not go down the moral route again , but i have bought things knowing they where cheap , i also collected and deliverd a  machine recently (just happened to be a vincent) talking to the widow it soon became clear she had sold this machine way to cheap , but would i (or yourself) have said no

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 04:36:33 PM »
A nice dilemma to have...

wetdog

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 05:45:36 PM »
and your answer is ?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 05:51:28 PM by wetdog »

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 06:29:23 PM »
Yes please would have been my retort... to my discredit

wetdog

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 07:56:46 PM »
to your honesty you mean  :)..... what say you Rex

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 08:14:34 AM »
The Vinnie blokes weren't bagging a bargain, they were stealing parts that weren't properly secured. If you read the long long tale of what went on, the people concerned justified their actions by saying that the dead man had "always promised me this bike when he died" and then they promptly took it/them before the probate process had a chance to list them all, and that's illegal.
With regard to the buying of a "cheap" Vin, it depends on the circumstances surely?
If the widow had invited a shyster/dealer to give her a price then let's hope she's wise enough to know the dealer would give her as low a value as possible and probably bearing no relationship to the current market value, much the same as if she was flogging antiques or gold jewellery to a passing knocker-boy.
Most (nice) people wouldn't attempt to stiff their aunt/grandma/family friend by offering a ridiculously low price, I'd like to think.

wetdog

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 09:13:16 AM »
"stealing parts " ............ weve been over this ,no theft took place , if you know other wise do the decent thing and call the police , this is a tax evation situation (been over this also) and i know its not somethink you would ever consider ,  the person who bought the vincent worked with her husband , but im not sure if hes tryed to stiff her yet (but i do think shes some miles left in her mind) i will ask if your interested .  :P   "it depends on the circumstances surely" ........ and what would the circumstances need to be for a person such as your self to turn this machine away , or to accept .......... this bike was all there but in big bits and bought for 15/20% market value if that helps

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2013, 01:28:31 PM »
Regarding the Vin case, as I understand it the police were called in but as the female relative (sister-in-law?) knew nothing about the situation and didn't want any unpleasantness to be attached to the Vin man's passing, she let it go. That doesn't mean it wasn't theft.
Of course, if she'd been told prior to his death that there was a financially worthwhile collection of bikes and bits and that they would be hers then her actions may have been different.
I couldn't afford a Vin even at 20% of the market value, but we've already covered the "morality" bit haven't we?

wetdog

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 05:46:48 PM »
what if you had the money ? you might make me a better person with your wise words  ;D  "that they would be hers then her actions may have been different." does that not come under greed

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 06:43:28 PM »
"Her actions may have been different" in that she might have pressed the coppers to obtain convictions for theft had she known that she was the beneficiary in the bloke's will.
What's "greedy" about that?