Author Topic: Royal Enfield Model D  (Read 13644 times)

Offline T100striumph

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Royal Enfield Model D
« on: January 13, 2018, 02:20:14 AM »
Hi All,
First post from Dunedin New Zealand. I have a Model D that I purchased from a farmer for $15 ( 7 Pounds) about 40 years ago when I was 20 years old. Just starting the restore process, good things take time.
Motor has Serial number D4044 and gearbox has HJP - 2 and ENF-39. The bike has telescopic forks which from my readings would make it around 1947-8 when they were introduced by RE.  As it was sent to New Zealand I wondered if it was a bitza built by RE to get overseas funds post WW2. It is missing the clutch cover tin work, had a home made exterior cover. Was running when purchased.

I would like to know age if possible as the tele forks seem a bit odd, frame does not appear to have been modified.

Regards to all,
Neville

RE model J
REmodel G
Flying flea
Triumph t100s 1970
Honda CBR400RR 1988
Honda CBR600RR 2006
Aprilia RST 1000 2004

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Enfield Model D
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 04:00:20 AM »
Welcome aboard !
Any chance of a pic of the whole bike - help prevents making an absolute howler from misunderstandings.

You may have seen the very recent discussion here about the 1951 Model S exported as part of a batch to Australia, and unknown to the historians. So yes, such things are possible.
Having Graham run those numbers through the RE dispatch records will likely shed some light on this too.

Is the clutch cover tinwork the same as for your G or J.?
A lot of military bikes came out to this neck of the woods, so such parts are not impossible to source. Have fun.

Offline T100striumph

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 08:48:25 AM »
Hi,
Many thanks, will have a close look at frame tomorrow and have a hunt for any numbers, will get a picture to you.
Neville

Offline T100striumph

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 08:45:56 AM »
Hi,
Managed to get frame number Z0102?337, bit hard to read middle number has been damaged. Frame has very light plates welded at headstock. Photo's of frame and motor attached. Pic of my T100s 1970, I'm second owner purchased in 1973, always been road ready and I have done over 60,000miles on her.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 09:41:27 AM »
Those forks look remarkably BSAish to me. I'd swear I have an identical set from a C10-11 in my workshop which I intended to put on a Francis-Barnett. Unfortunately ancient bones and creaky joints are winning the battle. No Fanny-Bee battling iron for me.
Personally, as they are an excellent fork and came with the bike I'd keep them on. They will give a much better ride and navigation than any girder fork and are typical of what was done back in the day to keep a bike on the road. 
I'd retain the headstock bracing as well. The Poms tended to skimp on building some frames in the 1930's due to oddball taxation rules favouring bikes under a certain weight. They weren't really  sturdy enough for our roads although the easier hydraulic action of those forks will help a lot.
Best of luck,

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 09:52:39 AM »
Yes those are BSA C12 forks from mid 50s to 1960 era

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 10:19:02 AM »
You would know. Have you still got yours?
Getting grumpy, but not as grumpy as mini-me.

Offline T100striumph

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 10:50:51 AM »
Many thanks for the update on the forks, so it will be a bitsa. Based on the New Zealand Kiwi "fix anything" attitude the forks most likely modified after it arrived in NZ. I am interested in finding out what year the bike was sent to NZ and if the frame is for a model D.
There is a small oil tank between motor and gearbox, looks home made to me, has a block of wood as a space filler.
Regards
Neville

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 04:35:44 PM »
You would know. Have you still got yours?

Yes.I love it a lot, so much that I thought I should log in to the C12 forum and see what good fellows I  could chat with there ;) ;) ;) ;) :o

Offline chaterlea25

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 05:46:15 PM »
Hi All
Just to throw  a further spanner in the works  ::)
I wonder if the frame number is Z C10 which would make that BSA as well
The front half of the frame has BSA features not to mind the forks fitting so nicely ???

:-\
John

Offline T100striumph

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 06:22:07 PM »
Hi John
Yes it would make sense that frame is BSA as well, I will have a close look at motor mounts to confirm these have been added to fit the RE motor. Thanks for your knowledge 
Neville

Offline T100striumph

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 05:13:00 PM »
Hi John,
After a look at BSA frame numbers on the mighty web I have found that frame is BSA C10 or C11 from 1951.

Cheers
Neville

Offline chaterlea25

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 05:51:05 PM »
Hi Neville,
Hmm??? Ok the front half is BSA but next question is what is the rear half?
The BSA rear frame did not extend along under the engine and gearbox
The joint where the front and rear halves of the BSA frame meet that also takes the centre stand pivot
is a high wear point and causes a "hinge in the middle"  >:(

John

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 09:05:32 AM »
Ok the front half is BSA but next question is what is the rear half?

Assuming they haven't just been added/welded there, the tabs for the lower back mudguard mounts look like they could be Enfield, and several of the other tabs and brackets also look like they could be Enfield items. Enfield seat brackets onto the frame are quite distinctive - a closeup of one of them could be quite instructive.

So perhaps, with some investigation, the back half / lower frame could be Enfield (?).
They do bolt on in two separate halves.
It also looks like it has the lower tabs - and was made - for a rear stand.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 02:50:29 AM »
Am I allowed to ask what gearbox was fitted? BSA first fitted a three speed to that model and then upgraded to a much nicer four speed. Or does it have a four speed Albion?
Cheers,