Author Topic: Monet Goyon Identification  (Read 22409 times)

Offline mowbar

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Monet Goyon Identification
« on: September 26, 2018, 07:39:31 AM »
Hi all, I am very new to the vintage motorcycle scene and i have just acquired a monet goyon and I am trying to find out exactly what it is
it is fitted with a Villiers mark 7A which from my research is a 247cc engine and only made between 1924/1925, so does this date the bike? I have tried contacting the monet goyon owners club but I got no response. Can anyone shed any light on this for me, any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline mowbar

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile

Offline mowbar

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Monet Goyon Identification
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 08:46:32 AM »
More late 1940s early 50s than 1924.
If you were sold it as that date you were done.
Don't expect any french bike club to respond unless you join/write in french.
I expect all the big French bike clubs are well cheesed off with enquiries from  English owners. For reasons look out threads on here and the problems of buying these things in a country to which they were never imported, nor provided for in English.

Plus the French hate us.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 12:15:39 PM »
I'd say just pre or post-war although the starburst finning on the head looks to be (or makes it look) earlier. I was on the M-G forum some years back and there were a couple of helpful members there, although in the main even when I tried Google Translate most weren't impressed. The most helpful bloke was a German funnily enough, but there's a lot of good info there.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 01:26:48 PM »
wrong engine? which is why was off-loaded onto an antique dealer only interested in cashing in on the uk bike market.

where did you buy it from? ebay, kempton or a bloke on the south coast?

In think I may have some bumph on this, will look it out later.

Offline mowbar

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 01:39:26 PM »
i bought it in Ireland , where I am from, i have seen a 1930 monet goyon and it looks very similar, but you think it couldn't be that early?
the serial number on the frame is 38082 if that is any help. The engine looks like it has always been there, and if you were going to change the engine why put in one from the 1920's?

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 05:49:20 PM »
why put in an older engine?
because thats what the french did to keep it running. its common enough and they only send us old crap via these antique dealers who buy the stuff by the lorry load.

Possibly someone has tried to make the bike look like this from 1929

much better and clear pics needed of both sides; Is the head alloy? I suppose its remotely possible you have a TT engined one,but I doubt it.
Your frame has had a lot of extra bits welded on to it,all those triangular plates and braces for a start.

All in all its an example of why no one who is a beginner with old bikes should never buy this french stuff. Has it got a irish reg?

Ps I found some stuff in a french magazine that might help, I will scan it and post it tomorrow
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 07:30:43 PM by mini-me »

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 08:07:10 PM »
heres a 1929 version, note the position of the carb, I cna't see one, or an inlet port in your pics; 
I might be revising my estimate of the year after I look a bit more.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 09:44:12 PM »
The OP's bike looks to have been seriously jiggered with. The extra bracing and fillets are odd, the tank has clearly been partially refinished (or just a new tank panel decal) and from the pic the exhaust pipe looks home-made.
That sort of stuff rings alarm bells when I see a bike as it indicates "tarted up for resale" or "I couldn't get this bike going so I'm making it look it's best for the advert".
I remember that later M-Gs had the Villiers engine made in France under licence but I have no idea whether parts are interchangeable with Villiers engine made in the UK. It shouldn't be a difficult bike to get running anyway, but the way to preferably buy 'em is as the one in Mini-me's photo.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 02:00:54 AM »
Sacre bleu.....ees a special mod so ze intrepid Frenchman can carry many more bunches of onions on ze velo.

Offline mowbar

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2018, 07:03:05 AM »
thanks for all the info guys, i will get more pictures today, i bought it at a deceased auction, the guy had a good few bikes mostly from the 1920's Hudsons, Ajs, etc.  a guy i met at the auction seemed to think it was a race bike for some reason.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2018, 09:27:15 AM »
He was probably the bloke selling it.
"It looks like a race bike" is second only to finding "E Presley owned this bike" scratched underneath the saddle for sucking in the gullible interested bidders.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2018, 01:35:29 PM »
What Rex said x10

The guy you met at the auction was probably the same one who collected the dosh at the end of the sale.

But you only have to look at the total crap spouted by some sellers of junk bikes on ebay to realise that the depth of ignorance out there is bottomless.
'Rare' 'Racing' are two words that say fek off and forget it.

I think you are going to have to make a real hard decision what you are going to do with this bike; my advice to to put in on ebay and cut your losses.  This bike will bankrupt you. Just read the past threads on here about french bikes.

I have a few, I quite like some of them but then again I used to make regular trips over there, I speak and read reasonable french and had contacts in a couple bike clubs. Unless you can do some of that forget it. They will give you very little help.

There are about 3 suppliers of spares for old bikes in the whole of France; their contacts are on here.

If you must buy french bikes, FFS but one that is 100% complete, and has its carte gris with it, and show some pics here before
you part with cash for it.preferably not one of these junk knackered  2 strokes that are being brought over.

I am still looking for the info I think I might have; I got a stack of french bike mags here from the 1990s

[how much did you pay for it?]

Offline mowbar

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2018, 03:31:41 PM »
i paid 850 euro.