Author Topic: Kawasaki W650 top end noise.  (Read 6211 times)

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
Kawasaki W650 top end noise.
« on: August 18, 2008, 08:40:46 PM »
Hi, Yesterday my W650 developed a top-end 'clatter', coupled with a noticeable increase in vibration above 2000rpm.  With only 13,000 miles on the clock in 4 years it was most unexpected.  The bike had its 12,000 mile service a couple of weeks ago before a tour of Scotland.

Before I strip  anything I thought it would be a good idea to ask if anyone else has suffered this problem, because experience has taught me that almost every vehicle ever made has its 'favourite' maladies and this could be a W650 foible.  The noise is definitely from the valve gear, but I am rather at a loss to figure out - with no mis-firing etc. - why the valve gear should cause an increase in vibration.

Thanks in advance for any ideas which might be proffered.
Jim Walker.

Offline alanrogerw

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kawasaki W650 top end noise.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 10:01:48 AM »
Hi, I know it was a long time ago you posted the problem with vibration on your w650, I have the same problem so did you ever get to the bottom of it?
Thanks Alan

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Kawasaki W650 top end noise.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 06:00:59 AM »
Hi, Yesterday my W650 developed a top-end 'clatter',

It could be a good idea at this point to do a compression test - remember, with the engine hot and the throttle wide open.

May eliminate a few possibilities - a sticky valve in particular. ?
If a valve is not completely closing, the loss of compression/performance may show up as a vibration ?
With the brew they sell as fuel these days, worth checking first.

Good Luck.