Author Topic: Amal type 5 amal carb needle jet size?e  (Read 3756 times)

Offline robbsa

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Amal type 5 amal carb needle jet size?e
« on: November 14, 2011, 09:26:04 PM »
Hi all, another question Bout Carbs. I have just battled and managed to remove the sheared needle jet from my carb. The replacement does not seem to match the one that I rmoved. the replacement was bought on advice of the rep at amal. he looked at the top half of the original jet and decided it was probably home made. now I have removed it I have noticed that the thread is larger diameter than the replacement 106 jet. The 106 also has a longer guide for the needle. do you think that the larger bore could be a mod by the previous owner, in which case I could turn a bush to step the thread up On the 106 or do I have the incorrect needle jet? I will put these questions back to amal as Well. The guy at amal was reading it from an data sheet, so I was hoping one of u might have had experience with these Carbs. It's from a 350 SV BSA l29. thanks, rob
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 11:05:44 PM by robbsa »

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Amal type 5 amal carb needle jet size?e
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 12:00:21 AM »
Given that it sounds like they have sold you parts for a modern carb, you'd have to think that whoever you spoke to didn't have a clue.

Assuming you are in the UK, the name Martyn Bratby is mentioned in connection with older carbs. Hopefully someone can advise how to contact him.
Getting someone to fully set up what was even then quite a sophisticated intrument can be well worth it in the long run.. HopethisHelps.

Offline robbsa

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Amal type 5 amal carb needle jet size?e
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 05:35:48 PM »
the more people i speak to, the more it seems that the needle jet from the type 5 should be the same as from the 75 and 275, so it looks like it might be a  bodge on my jet block. Looks like i'm going to have to get on the lathe!

I will try and follow up martyn as he has been mentioned to me a couple of times. thanks