Author Topic: SUN CHALLENGER PROJECT  (Read 5637 times)

Offline Evdemon

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
SUN CHALLENGER PROJECT
« on: April 10, 2012, 07:29:01 PM »
Hi, I have started a Sun Challenger project. Does anyone have any info i.e. Manuals / Parts/ Pictures. Any help would be much appreciated

Many Thanks

Heath
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 09:27:33 PM by Evdemon »

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: SUN CHALLENGER PROJECT
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 12:00:05 AM »
Usual place to start is the VMCC Library. They have Challenger info including a specific  maintenance/repair booklet on the teles. The old MP forks can be a bit of a nuisance. I'm sure MP built them never dreaming they would ever be taken apart donkeys years later.
Cheers,

Offline Evdemon

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 02:34:07 PM »
Thanks for that a good start! Do you or anyone know if  there was any illustrated parts list and/or workshop manuals for this model? Cheers
Heath

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 01:44:43 AM »
Heath,
You haven't got the message. Its Villiers powered. Only the major Villiers users like Francis Barnett and James ever did their own manuals, parts lists, etc. The minor players like Sun rarely did so. As their bikes were more of an assembly of bought in products Sun relied heavily on them to provide the info you are looking for.
You get the appropriate Villiers manual and parts list for your power unit, engine/gearbox/carb/ignition, etc. The MP data for the front forks is probably all you will find. The wheels are probably British Hub Co, the rear suspension units Armstrong and so on. Very little of your bike was actually made by Sun. About all Sun put out was the annual sales catalogue.
You have to remember your bike was made at a time when every young buck would start off maintaining his own pushbike as a lad then progress to a lightweight motorbike which was just a super sized push bike with engine and finally go full size. They learnt as they went along. Manuals as expected today just didn't exist. Thats why Haynes Publications started, they filled the gap. Unfortunately there aren't enough Sun Challengers around for Haynes to do a workshop manual on them.
 Don't worry it isn't that hard. You'll be fine.
Cheers,

Offline Evdemon

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 06:31:52 PM »
Ok Many Thanks

Offline Evdemon

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 12:45:57 PM »
Hi , I am showing two pictures,Frame tank and head light which I have and a sun challenger picture which i am presuming the frame is off?
Is the suspension shown known as a plunger suspension and if it is does anyone know where i can get an 8" version of this, I have looked at numerous sites and cannot find anything. Cheers
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 01:57:45 PM by Evdemon »

Offline doughobbs

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2022, 12:06:00 AM »
Did you ever complete this project Heath?

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2022, 08:30:35 AM »
he's still waiting for a Haynes to turn up..

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2022, 03:12:39 AM »
As he eventually provided pictures one can see the frame has plunger rear suspension with all operating components missing. As these were never proprietary units but made by the factory I think the chances of finding the missing parts are on a level with winning the lottery.
If you have the facilities rebuilding an early 50’s Villiers beastie assembled from bought in components is not hard but finding those few parts the assembling factory made themselves is an utter pain.
The original query was ten years ago. I’d be mightily impressed if Evdemon responded with a picture of the finished bike.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2022, 08:43:52 AM »
I reckon a lot of it comes down to someone's ability to make/adapt/fabricate the missing parts required.
Bantam (for instance) plungers are common enough, so providing the diameter of the units can be accommodated in the space available it shouldn't be difficult to adapt the central column to fit in the James lugs.
If you like resurrecting long-dead machinery it's all part of the fun. ;)

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2022, 06:35:03 AM »
Fabricating the plungers would certainly  be do able,......If the rest of the bike was complete......whats there is swapmeet bits.........and I wouldnt count on them for fuel money ,either.

Offline gambole1949

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2022, 07:19:49 PM »
I dont know if this will help if you decide to fabricate the plungers but this is what they look like. I think the center plunger bar is 8 inches long but you will know from the frame. I will try and get photos of the inners, ie springs etc and other measurements if this is the route you are going to take. I hope you find a set first. good look.