Author Topic: Norton 16h  (Read 19714 times)

Offline hallii

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Norton 16h
« on: June 28, 2012, 11:51:28 AM »
Hello all, my name is Geoff and I live iin Worcester, I have owned British bikes for more years than I can remember.

I currently own a Norton 16h ex military in civvi trim, much like they were prepared for sale by dealers after realease from military service.

It runs well, I have just fitted a new plug, new petrol, and oil and it fired up first time.

I rebuilt it some years ago, it is registered as a 1940 with age related plates, the frame is 1940 at least! The engine is ex mil workshops I think and marked "Kent 34", no number. The original reg. number was long gone by the time I bought it.

It runs and rides well, with no knocks or rattles but would need a bit of TLC to get it into "concours" condition, it is, however, smart and ready to ride.

This photo is just after it was finished so the shiny paint and chrome has dulled a little over time and some rubber bits are showing signs of age.

Now to my point! I am no spring chicken and in my 70s, I have had to accept that my riding days are drawing to a conclusion, at least riding this rather heavy beast. I might get a small lighweight bike from a country I find it hard to name, I used to work at BSA you see, and I have a long memory...

Anyway, what is it worth? I have done the searches and the prices seem to vary quite a bit. It would be nice to get Bonhams price but I doubt it!

Thank you for the forum use and I look forward to your input.

Geoff

« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:56:08 AM by hallii »

wetdog

Re: Norton 16h
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 12:08:40 PM »
nice machine . put a chair on it and keep it

Offline Mr B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 12:10:09 PM »
What a good looking bike Geoff, pity you're having to let it go, but good that you'll still be on 2 wheels, eh?
It's a hard thing to value accurately, but I'd have thought £4-5k should be achievable. After all, people are paying up to 2 grand for basket cases these days!
Regards
Andy
(also from Worcester)

Offline hallii

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 06:44:28 PM »
Thanks guys, a chair (sidecar to us oldies) is an option but then I wouldn't be able to get it in my garage.

I have booked an MOT for it tomorrow and put a new battery on it, today I rode it up and down the drive, dug out my helmet and dusted it, insured it, just the MOT pass and a free tax disc to go and it's legal again.

I am getting quite excited now, I think I might go for a ride after the MOT, knowing, of course, that it will pass ;D

Maybe I will keep it.... maybe.

Geoff

Offline hallii

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 11:20:58 AM »
Well it passed today, just one advisory, "the headstock bearing is slightly loose and needs adjustment". I will have that little job done in the next hour. Then it's off for a ride around the country lanes around here.

Geoff

wetdog

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 12:13:08 PM »
the last mot it will ever req , after nov 18th this year no more mots pre 1960

Offline hallii

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 03:10:54 PM »
Update.

I have decided to keep it :D

So I have been riding it around locally.

Yesterday it "kicked back" as I was starting it. I thought I was OK but this morning my ankle has swollen up and the local A&E tell be there is nothing broken, just a ligament that is sore.

I now have a pair of sticks and feel a right wally shuffling around.

Never mind, it should be better in a few days.

I KNEW I should have used the advance retard lever!

Geoff

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 12:31:37 AM »
You're just out of practice doing the "long swinging kick" Geoff. Its not the bikes fault. You need to start it more often. With a woolly woofler like the 16H I'd stick with it as long as you can swing your leg over it to get on.

Chuck away the sticks asap or domestic management will start harping about the bike and you'll never enjoy it again.

Cheers from another mature rider.

Offline hallii

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 09:11:27 PM »
Oh! The domestic management have already commented along the lines of "Maybe it's time you gave up motorcycling at your age" etc.

Even the bl&&dy neighbour got in on the act, "It's probably a bit big for you" she said. I hope she meant the bike ;D

Sod them all, there is one good thing about being old, I can be a stubborn old git when I want to be, and right now I am stubborn.

I am on 30mg Codeine pills from the doc and they are good. If I take two I can walk, tomorrow I will take two, wait for them to kick in and get the bike out. I won't actually ride it, just polish it a bit, that should put the cat amongst the pidgeons!

Geoff

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 04:01:32 AM »
This all sounds very familiar. I think I must live on the opposite side of your street.

Cheers.

Offline Revband

• Advanced Member
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Revband
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Revband
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 10:32:12 AM »
I broke the little toe on my right foot two weeks ago, it's amazing how quickly you can learn to start a bike with your left leg. Hell summers short enough!.

Offline hallii

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 07:38:34 PM »
Today my ankle is a bit better, still swollen but on the mend.

I will wear my boots next time I kick it over, last time I wore my sandals ( I know it was a mistake) but I was wearing my shorts because it was hot ( I know that was wrong) and my teashirt ( I know....) and sandals seemed to be right, no socks, the beach look you know.

I do need to get some suitable clothing, something periodish, maybe a Belstaff jacket XXL and some guantlets with white cuffs for a start.

Have a look in you grandads wardrobe please...

Geoff

Offline hallii

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 08:19:49 PM »
Ankle still sore but soon, maybe Monday if the sun is shining, I will try a left footed kick start and go off for a ride.

I hadn't better stall it at the lights though, get off, up on stand, kick start, off stand, get back on!

They will probably simply run over me, impatient people round here!

Geoff

wetdog

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 08:41:46 PM »
nice to hear you still have the machine , after youve started it a few times you can tell when its going to kick back ( a sort of silent lull ive found for about 2 seconds ) enough to get out of the way , after the long kick keep your leg bent at the knee . the kicking with the left leg might not be so good as next time you post it maybe from a wheel chair , try starting holding the valve lifter open for longer than normal ( as you kick )  this will help and a well timed norton will start easy and with little effoet other than weight ie no jabs on the kick start

Offline hallii

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 09:53:20 AM »
Ankle better, now riding it around and about, if you see me and wave you have to accept a nod of the head, I cannot risk taking a hand off the bars in case I hit a pothole (lots of them round here).

I have now noticed that the Petseal in the tank is peeling off and has turned to a sort of jelly, that will fun to get out. Maybe Nitromors?

Due I think, to the ethanol in modern fuel.

Geoff