Author Topic: Utility motorcycles  (Read 114 times)

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Utility motorcycles
« on: July 08, 2021, 05:41:48 AM »
Hi Leon,
You asked about Utility motorcycles.
As in the old joke patter, "I haff good news und I haff bad news".
The good news is I have all the Utility engine number records sitting in front of me. The bad news is they are on 16mm microfilm and I don't have a reader. Even when I do get a reader I've been warned that most if not all are handwritten- in pencil- and were well faded before microfilming anyway. Apparently in the years before computerisation took hold the Motor Registration Branch as it was then had the bright idea of microfilming a lot of the early records. Nothing wrong with microfilming, it is still a sensible way of recording and archiving stuff but unless you take care the quality drops a bit. Poor quality originals become rather poorer microfilms.
I gather modern microfilm scanners can improve things but as I know absolutely nothing about reading old microfilms in 2021 I'm on a very steep learning curve starting from absolute zero. All advice carefully listened to.

Cheers,

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
Re: Utility motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 06:34:37 AM »
Oh dear!  But what excitement... (sad, isn't it).

My most recent experiences with microfilm were in the State Library of South Australia, and at Flinders Uni in SA, but the film and readers were 35mm on rolls, or occasionally flat sheets (around 4" square?) with a different reader. I wonder if such things still exist, time moving on and all that.

Maybe ten years ago I also looked at microfilm at the SLV in Melbourne, so they have/had a public microfilm reading room. But 16mm might prove a bit weird!

Cheers

Leon

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 02:25:55 PM »
Iím told 16mm microfilm readers were rather top end in their day. The 16mm film rolls come in a cassette so are fairly well protected from careless handling and storage. The next week or so sees me tackling the local libraries and universities looking for a reader/scanner/printer.
The net shows combined 35/16mm machines so it should be entertaining.

Offline DELONSTAINWALL

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 02:41:11 AM »
The state library of Vic has got readers for all formats. I used their service several times looking for old electronic circuits. I would also check with local library's near you. I also used Doncaster library they can help you 33d6.