Author Topic: Applying pinstripe tape  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Oggers

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Applying pinstripe tape
« on: January 31, 2022, 05:05:51 PM »
Chaps

Gold pinstripe on the Velo Viper chrome/black tank is 6mm wide. It is tape, not painted. Due to previous owner operator error, petrol was spilt on the pinstripe at the base of tank and at the front - the portion that goes horizontal then upwards - or downwards and horizontal depending on your point of view! The tape blistered badly, about 8 inches of it has since been removed, and the boundary between the chrome and the black of the tank which forms the pinstripe line subsequently cleaned up. The surface is fine. I have a roll of 6mm pinstripe tape which is a perfect colourmatch, but unfortunately despite all my efforts, it will not follow the sharp bend which deliniates the chrome from the black at the front bottom corner. I have tried pulling at the tape around the bend and very gradually pressing the tape in place - no joy - I get folds on the inner edge, tried a hair dryer - no luck....Any advice much appreciated as to how to pursuade the tape round the bend!.   

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Applying pinstripe tape
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 08:46:03 AM »
Get some of that green tight-bend masking tape and use two parallel strips to paint a Humbrol gold pinstripe on the missing bit.
Or remove all the offending tape and redo the whole coach-line?

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 10:07:31 AM »
Agree. That's what I use although for narrow lines the tape is fine.

The Norton done using Rex's method (the slight bleed was corrected later). The paint is One-Shot which is specifically for this type of job:

Francis Barnett using tape:

Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline Oggers

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 10:40:32 AM »
Gents

Yes - I am rapidly coming to the same conclusion. It must be achievable using tape as the other side of the tank in the same area is perfect!