Author Topic: Norton JAP Plus other Discussion!  (Read 16389 times)

johnnyboy-wonder57

Norton JAP Plus other Discussion!
« on: February 02, 2013, 09:31:08 AM »
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 08:41:42 PM by Johnnyboy-wonder »

wetdog

Re: Norton JAP
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 11:52:56 AM »
would rarther go down that route than imp engine featherbed if thats what your thinking

johnnyboy-wonder57

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 08:50:20 PM »
My mate sold a JAP V twin some years ago & now wishes he have kept it!

The cost of a JAP V twin engine makes build costs prohibitive, if I was building a sprint bike, I suppose a V twin JAP is a good option.

Cheers

John

wetdog

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 11:14:09 PM »
i bought one last year , they are expensive but still about , and a new one (cameron) is about £9000

johnnyboy-wonder57

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 09:35:40 AM »
Wetdog,
I do not know too much about J.A.P engines except the real name of the fellow, they were built in Tottenham, they were used as propriety engines for many makes and their application in Speedway &  also in Sprints.  The former yet another area we ruled until Jawa &  G.M took over!

You're right, the J.A.P engine is impressive looking, it has a vintage "aura", but yet looks powerful and menacing.  In "Built For Speed", there's a J.A.P  8-80powered Record Breaker, built by Bob Berry, a Mancunian, he had air intake ports built in the body-work to give a theoretical further 1lb per square inch boost @ 200mph, and 2.2lbs @ 300mph, I wondered what happened tom him and it?

Phil' Irving it his book on Motorcycle Engineering, has a little ode to them, as competition engines!

A good site set-up for  a bad reason is, http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/
Also http://keep-turning-left.blogspot.co.uk/2009/09/jap-speedway-engine.html

Pretty sad what's going on so many things closing down, its like the Authorities want everyone to stay at home & watch the Telly or stay on the T'internet,  permanently; cheaper Police bills, cheaper for the N.H.S, less traffic on the roads, more controlled population!

Its good what C.N.C machines can do, by the way you can get a new Manx or G50 engine for about £10,000!

Cheers

JBW

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 11:06:36 AM »
Pretty sad what's going on so many things closing down, its like the Authorities want everyone to stay at home & watch the Telly or stay on the T'internet,  permanently; cheaper Police bills, cheaper for the N.H.S, less traffic on the roads, more controlled population!

OK JBW I'll bite. What has the above paragraph got to do with JAP engines?

wetdog

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 11:43:20 AM »
mines just a spare for me car , would need to convert to air cooled for a bike i think ( all parts available ) , jap did some very nice air craft engines , i was out bid on one some years ago at a auction in birmingham , never found out where it went
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 12:23:11 PM by wetdog »

johnnyboy-wonder57

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 08:12:23 PM »
Rex,
Gotcha, hook,line & sinker, 
http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/ , the closing down of venues for motorcycle sport & Community based activities.  This site identifies, closed Speedway circuits, we lost one @ Canterbury, the corrupt Council sold the combined Football pitch/Athletics track that doubled on a Saturday night as a Greyhound Track/Speedway venue and on a Sunday for early morning boot-fairs to Developers; who then Gentrified the area and built monstrous buildings with apartments & £800,000 detached Executive Homes, now lots of people have no-where to play! Lots of the pubs have gone too!

Sod the population of the City & those that live around East Kent, there's no where to go any more Rex, (do you ever go out?), if you did you would find this to be true! If "they", can't stop you doing things with the Environment & Biodiversity, then they will get you on Land Hire rules, Health & Safety, Equality Laws, Race Laws & or God knows what, have you ever tried to organise anything Rex, its a Frigging nightmare, you have to pay Police & Ambulances, do a Risk Assessment 150 pages, identify how many people may/are going to die at your Event, provide barriers...blah,blah,blah.....

They do not want people to do things any more, what other logical explanation is there?

Ironically, my Wife's Father raised money for years to support stated lost Community events and with a stroke of an Executives pen, the whole lot was gone overnight!  40 years of Fund Raising with other like minded people, how did they do it, they sneaked around with noise meters and got one or two complaints after stirring up a Hornets nest in the local press!

You see the other development with £800,000 houses could not have been developed & commanded such high prices had Kingsmead Stadium still been adjacent to it!

Can't explain it any other way Rex, big money wins every time even if it means changing an entire Nations culture, think about it!

Cheers

JBW

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 08:14:43 PM by Johnnyboy-wonder »

wetdog

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 09:11:47 PM »
again............................OK JBW I'll bite. What has the above paragraph got to do with JAP engines?........?

johnnyboy-wonder57

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 09:45:08 PM »
Arrgh!
Nothing directly, indirectly the loss of a Speedway circuit, alternatively, some old timers occasionally ran old bikes round & some had J.A.P engines, maybe J.A.P would have survived had circuits stayed open, maybe if the factories had not pulled out of racing.....!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are not trying to wind- me up are you?

Cheers

JBW

wetdog

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 11:18:17 PM »
Nothing directly.................... exactly nothing ..............who stays afloat making speed way engines only ?

johnnyboy-wonder57

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 01:28:02 AM »
Wetdog,
Kicked around with VMCC members since teens,  built my first bike @17,  fell across bike gangs mid 70s, some mates joined them and came to sad ends some time later. Worked abroad came back, noticed the big decline in the last 20 years, jobs, opportunities, the ability to earn money, the Financial crash of 2008, caused me to re-think things, we could have lost everything & had to re-jig life.
I think everything is linked to everything else, you cannot separate things, that easily, lack of money the death of widespread cheapish motor-sport, venues closing down, price of fuel, energy,  inflation, public gullibility all add to the mix.

We cannot afford to watch Sprints, Grass Track, Canada Heights Moto X, Brighton Sprint, HougtonTowers,  Club Runs like we use to, last time I went back up North it was £150 ish in fuel & that's not running about a lot.

J.A.P engines were used in other applications were they not, agree only CNC can keep things alive, but costs are still high to buyers in UK, even with modern manufacturing techniques.
J.A.P probably went bust a long time ago 40s?, G.L.C would have finished them off in London anyway, vis A.M.C were supposed to move to  Isle of Sheppy from Plumstead.

In the present climate any industry, would be lucky to stay afloat, no matter what it did, defence contracts of not.
3 complete bikes,  2 old cars 1 French, 1 German, various Imp engines, two British 4 stroke engines & parts stored at relatives, for later applications.
In the extended Family a Douglas, a Rudge,  and a Triumph twin, stepson has some bikes, but I'm not sure what he has now, they are, what is left, all locked away after a theft that happened two years ago, the modern world eh!

Of course not, been to Brighton Sprint enough times to see the Hayabusa's run, good giggle though if it happened,
 its a good day in the pits.

Is the last post a criticism? 

Cheers

JBW

Internet  will delay post, system updating!

johnnyboy-wonder57

Re: Norton JAP Plus other Discussion!
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 10:41:47 PM »
RE-Post:
OK JBW I'll bite. What has the above paragraph got to do with JAP engines? Rex;

again............................OK JBW I'll bite. What has the above paragraph got to do with JAP engines?........? wetdog I think!

My post boys, (Rex & wetdog,) if you have a problem with it, don't read or contribute to it, fair enough judgement, I think, but I especially warn you, do not try & be smart on-line, in a personal way, trying to insinuate  things by said, or unsaid items!

Now I have had my little spat, its all over with!

Cheers

JBW

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 09:38:56 AM »
I've just seen all this above, (although quite what "hook line and sinker" I'm supposed to have taken has missed me)
JBW this site is (supposed to be) about bikes whatever line you may like to take it down.
Like you, many things irritate me too (and yes, I do get out, although what's that you said about personal comments?) but I'm sure there's more suitable sites than this to expound your particular views. You seem to verge on being a  Conspiracy Theorist, while I'm the complete opposite. I believe things get done despite the best efforts of the planners etc and I don't believe for one second that things are "linked" by some master plan or Machiavellian Bond villain cackling away in some bunker about how he closed the dog tracks and sold off the playing fields in East Sheen (or whatever) and closed pubs.
 Things change, peoples' interests change and industry changes, but there's no Master Plan.

So "especially warn" away if you wish, but if you don't want a response which disagrees with your particular take on things then don't post. Simple, eh?

johnnyboy-wonder57

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 08:39:24 PM »
Clever reply  Rex, you are a reasonable man.
JBW