Author Topic: Excelsior Plunger frame ID  (Read 12657 times)

Offline DELONSTAINWALL

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Excelsior Plunger frame ID
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2021, 12:58:32 AM »
     Hi Team, I have stripped off the paint and rust from some Parts and I am having a small issue with keeping the stripped bare metal parts from rusting prior to starting my painting. Am I missing a step? Or not doing it correct?

The method I used is soaking the parts in Vinegar for a few days and cleaning them off with a wire brush. I then wash the stripped parts in a soapy water and dry them. As the weather is not the best, I do not want to start the painting just yet.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2021, 01:20:04 AM »
I've not used vinegar, but after washing with soapy water try rinsing the parts in really hot water, drying them with a towel, then wiping them over with a rag soaked (wet) in methylated spirit. The meths will dissolve any residual water. Of course from that point on you'll need to keep the parts warm and dry until you paint them. A light dust of etch primer would keep rust under control. I use Wattyl Super Etch Industrial Primer, black. Touch dry in 5 minutes.

Leon

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2021, 02:25:40 AM »
Panel beaters use phosphoric acid on the steel prior to painting.
This protection can last for months, but painting is best done as soon as the acid has been rinsed off and the steel is good and dry.

Phos acid is one of the active ingredients in coca cola, so its not exactly hazardous to life and limb.
Best kept away from eyes and clothes though...

Don't dilute down too far though, I find its best used really concentrated, and then sandpaper off for a smooth rust free finish.
There is no substitute for this product ?
It should leave the steel clean and shiny and metal-like, none of this black coloured stuff that weaker varieties use.

Dulux used to supply it as Deoxidine, but many suppliers of it these days.
Don't pay too much, its only a powder mixed into water.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 02:30:29 AM by R »